PEP 668: Marking Python base environments as "externally managed"

Regarding PEP Delegate, I don’t think this needs to go to the SC, as it doesn’t involve any changes to Python itself (assuming I didn’t miss anything in my brief skim of the PEP!)

I’m willing to be PEP delegate if necessary (it sort of feels like “interoperability” to me, I guess) but I’d have no objection if someone else wanted to offer to take on the role. I don’t feel that I have any special expertise here.

One thing I would be looking for is a bit more discussion - the linux-sig discussion mentioned was only 6 messages since May, and there’s only a couple of messages here. I’m not convinced that “silence means approval” is sufficient here, it’s difficult to be sure where interested parties hang out, so silence seems far more likely to imply “wasn’t aware of the proposal” in this case. In fact, I’d suggest that the PEP gets a section listing distributions that have confirmed their intent to support this proposal, including the distribution, and a link to where the commitment was made.

1 Like