Need help with Pandas recognition by Python

Need help with Pandas recognition by Python. The background: I have successfully used Pandas with these scripts many times. Switched to a new laptop recently and did a lot of copying from one machine to the other. Ran scripts successfully then started tinkering. Somehow, I have gotten to a spot where I am getting these messages:

1)The environment variable ‘Path’ seems to have some paths containing the ‘"’ character. The existence of such a character is known to have caused the Python extension to not load. If the extension fails to load please modify your paths to remove this ‘"’ character. This SHOULD not be appearing since nothing in the USER or SYSTEM PATH Environment Variables has those characters…… but is this a clue to my REAL problem ?

1. ModuleNotFound Error: No module named ‘pandas’ when I attempt to run the script [in the Visual Studio Code shell].

However, if I immediately follow that with the terminal command PIP show Pandas it finds it!

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pandas’

PS C:\Users\craig\myPython_projects> pip show pandas

Name: pandas
Version: 1.3.3
Summary: Powerful data structures for data analysis, time series, and statistics
Home-page: https://pandas.pydata.org
Author: The Pandas Development Team
Author-email: pandas-dev@python.org
License: BSD-3-Clause
Location: c:\users\craig\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages
Requires: numpy, python-dateutil, pytz
Required-by:
PS C:\Users\craig\myPython_projects>

I have uninstalled all versions of Python and deleted any remnants then reinstalled version 3.8. The USER and SYSTEM Environment Variable paths point to the Python executable folder. What do I need to do?