Having issues pip installing?

Hello there users!

Pyby here, and I'm having issues with pip for some reason.

So I'm trying to install SpeechRecognition so that I can use it for a project. Initially, I typed in the installation command incorrectly which was why as first my computer did not recognise "pip". Later on, I checked my PC and was able to confirm that pip was installed on it, as well as the correct command to give. However, when I tried to install SpeechRecognition, it gave me this:

```

py -m pip install SpeechRecognition

Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement SpeechRecognition (from versions: none)

ERROR: No matching distribution found for SpeechRecognition

```

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is? Could anyone help?

Maybe it is your Python version. I mean, if the SpeechRecognition does not support your Python, you can’t install it.

What is your Python version? You can find it by running py -V.

The PyPI page for the package is here: SpeechRecognition · PyPI. And the GitHub repository (where the source code is stored) is here: Uberi/speech_recognition (github.com).

Looking for the PyPI classifiers, and the settings from the repo, seems like they only support Python >=3.6.

1 Like

I have Python 3.9.6. I am considering the PyPI method but I hope to at least understand why SpeechRecogniton isn’t downloading.

Ok, I will go slower. When you create a package, you have to define something called classifiers in the package metadata (that can be found at setup.cfg or setup.py). And one of those classifiers is the Python platforms with support.

When you tell pip to install something (in this case SpeechRecognition), it looks for available versions for your OS and Python version. If no compatible versions are found, it just says that it couldn’t find a satisfying version.

Another that may happen is that, when looking for wheels to install (in this case, from here), pip didn’t find a wheel that fits with your system.

I know the current message is a little confusing, but the pip developers and contributors (including me) are working on improving the user experience of pip :slight_smile:

Hope this explanation worked for you!

1 Like

I don’t fully understand but I think I have a grasp of what the issue might have been. Thank you for your help, it’s appreciated. Also, cool to hear you’re a pip developer/contributor!

2 Likes

The pip internals and work can look a bit harder than other Python stuff. Don’t worry, try to go slowly :wink:

We are a big community (There are many cool people behind pip), and we work all together to help each other :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have problems every time I try to install a package with pip. I’ll type pip install packagename and it throws a syntax error. Only on rare occasions has it actually worked.I’m running version 3.9.9 Any insights into what the problem might be?

When I run python -m ensurepip it says the syntax is invalid.

Please, when asking for help, always copy the full text of an error message, otherwise we’re just guessing.

If you are getting a syntax error, it is because you are trying to run a shell command inside the Python interpreter.

If you have a prompt which looks like >>> then you are running inside the Python interactive interpreter, and you can only give Python commands.

To use shell commands like

python -m pip install package

or similar, you need to be using the operating system’s shell. That will have a prompt like % or $ or #.

I’ve been using the Windows command processor.

I think the full output can give us the hint. As you wrote it, I can suppose some scenarios:

1. You have Python 3.6 or lower (check that using python -V). Newer pip versions have removed support for your Python, and maybe you have faced new syntax that your Python won’t recognize.

2. You have a redistributed or even a broken pip, but I don’t think so for a Windows machine.

If no one of these fit with your situation, please post your output using a Markdown code block:

```
{Inside these backticks, put everything you get after running "pip install somePackage"}
```

current version I’m using: Python 3.8.10

-->[C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]-->python --version
Python 3.8.10

-->[C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]-->pip install fire
Requirement already satisfied: fire in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (0.4.0)
Requirement already satisfied: six in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (from fire) (1.14.0)
Requirement already satisfied: termcolor in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (from fire) (1.1.0)
WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.2; however, version 22.0.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

My Hard drive is full to the brim and I don’t even have enough space to download the pip upgrade.

–>[C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]–>python --version
Python 3.8.10

–>[C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]–>pip install fire
Requirement already satisfied: fire in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (0.4.0)
Requirement already satisfied: six in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (from fire) (1.14.0)
Requirement already satisfied: termcolor in c:\users\osgal\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python38\site-packages (from fire) (1.1.0)

WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.2; however, version 22.0.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'C:\Users\osgal\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

I tried running the upgrade but I don’t have enough space on my hard drive to run it.

Then clear some space.

You wrote:

“I’m using: Python 3.8.10”

But earlier you told us:

“I’m running version 3.9.9”

You have posted six times so far in this thread but still have not shown us the actual exact error message. That makes it hard to tell what is really happening.

Can you please copy and paste the full error message, including the command you typed?

Sorry, I’m having trouble capturing the error mssage. Let me try it again. When I launch IDLE to develop my script I choose the v. 3.9.9 version but when I run pip it runs as that older version.

Crazy, now all of a sudden pip is working normally. Thanks for your help folks!

I don’t know what I could have possibly done to fix it, but pip seems to be working properly now. Thanksd for the help, everyone! you folks are AWESOME!!