PyPI Organization Account Roadmaps

As discussed in a previous post, PSF will be commencing a 16 week project in April to add organization account features in PyPI.

To break down the project into manageable parts, we developed a high-level roadmap and broke down that roadmap into specific features. Please feel to review the documents and share your feedback in this thread.

We are looking for PyPI users who would be interested in participating in user interviews. These interviews would last about 25-30 minutes or less and would take place every 2 weeks. We do not expect every participant to do a user interview for each sprint. They can participate in as many user interviews as they like. Interested participants will be able to schedule interviews based on their availability. Please express your interest by signing up here- User Testing Expression of Interest Form

5 Likes

Is there a Twitter post about the interview sign up form that I can retweet?

Here’s a tweet: https://twitter.com/pypi/status/1509811205728354323?t=xvI0cIW6HjgOUES2LmOaOg&s=19

2 Likes

Can organisation account only have one owner?

No, it can have multiple owners.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions about the planned approach for implementing namespaces – if this isn’t the right place to ask these questions, please direct me to the relevant place. It’s not been too clear to me where/how the community is supposed to provide feedback on this project. :slight_smile:

1. Would it be possible to avoid calling the feature “namespaces” on PyPI? We already have something called “namespace packages” in Python and it could be worthwhile to explore ways to avoid confusion with that.

2. How would the namespaces work, functionally? Will they be like one of the following?

• along the lines of NPM scopes.
      This would likely need client-side tooling to change as well, which… given the lack of any activity on that front, makes me think that’s not the plan?
    • in the form of separate index pages (eg: pip install packagename -i https://pypi.org/index/namespace
    • “reserve” a chunk of the available global namespace, giving the owners of the namespace some level of control over any packages that start with that name (eg: “django-”).
3 Likes

I think there is some confusion around the organization accounts project and namespaces. Org. account project will implement features around managing members, teams and permissions related to them. We will not be implementing namespaces.

I think your comments will be pertinent when we begin consulting for the namespace (or a more suitable name) project. Thank you for your comments and they have been noted.

Thanks for the response!

I’m aware that there’s two separate features that will be worked on one-after-another, and am not confusing them. My question was explicitly directed at the second feature, that will be implemented after the organistion accounts. As I said, it isn’t clear to me where questions about that should be asked.

I guess I’ll just wait until the relevant people explicitly ask for inputs/feedback on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m just wondering what’s the current status of the PyPI Organization Account feature? According to PyPI Organization Accounts · GitHub, much of the project appears stuck in the “Ready to be Deployed” state.

We are finalizing accounting and legal T&Cs. The project will be launched once we get the legal go-ahead.

3 Likes

That is great news!

Will we be able to convert user accounts into organisation accounts?
I want to publish PyPI packages now, but then transfer my user account in to that of an organisation; would that be possible?

I suppose if not you could simply transfer package ownership to the org account, no?

True. But the ability to transform users into organisations should be valued: a) There probably are many users currently acting for entire organisations that would want to switch (and keep the same username, too.) and b) other package managers, such as NuGet, have such options and abilities.

Also, it must be beared in mind that an organisation account should be able to have the same username as its predecessor user account.

Right now, we do not have the ability to convert a user account into an organization account. As @CAM-Gerlach has suggested, it will be possible to transfer package ownership to the org account. Depending on user feedback and interest in seeing such a feature implemented, we will consider implementing it.

1 Like

Depending on user feedback and interest in seeing such a feature implemented, we will consider implementing it.

Just adding a data point. We currently have a “projectname” user account that we use as a service account for the project and if the orgname cannot also easily be “projectname” then we would just not use an org, I suppose.

2 Likes

You should be able to create org account with ‘projectname’.

2 Likes

@smm Could you please give me a hint about pricing? The only information I find is that it depends on user numbers, but no I cannot find any price. Thank you!

I don’t believe that pricing has been announced publicly yet, and I expect that we’ll hear about it when it is announced.

1 Like