Remove 'SO' config variable in sysconfig.py

In bpo-19555 ("SO" config var not getting set · Issue #63754 · python/cpython · GitHub), @warsaw deprecated the SO configuration variable in sysconfig.py and suggested it could be removed after Python 3.5. It seems that never happened.

I know that system packagers sometimes change sysconfig.py or its behavior to customize for their distribution. So I wanted to bring up a discussion here before opening a pull request to remove that code. I looked for other issues and discussions, but didn’t find anything since the original report. Please let me know if I missed something!

1 Like

Makes sense to me. It’s not infrequent that such cleanups don’t happen.

1 Like

@barry Thank you for replying! Should I make an issue on GH first? I’ve never contributed to CPython before, and this change removes 42 LOC, so it’s right on the border of trivial to me :smile:

Yes, please do create an issue first. Tag me on both the issue and PR and I will happily review it. Thanks and yes, this is a great first contribution to Python. Have you signed the CLA?

1 Like

Thanks @barry! Done and done. I just signed the CLA from the PR.

2 Likes

Approved and merged, with @merwok 's news file edit. Congratulations and thanks!

What is the actual point of removing a single thing from distutils when distutils are going to be removed in the next release? Wouldn’t it be better to keep the deprecated module as is?

And I reply to myself. This is removed from sysconfig, and distutils only inherited the change. Sorry for the noise.

1 Like