Extention function not visible

I recently tried compiling some extension module I’ve been working for a while but the functions were no longer visible as they were before. I don’t know if there’s something I’ve missed cause I’m hitting a deadline and the anxiety is probably not helping. I tried reviewing changes in my code to see if there’s some error or change I introduced but still can’t find it. So I decided to write a basic extension function to compare and see if there’s any step I missed, but the test example was also showing the same behavior. So here’s the gist.

#define PY_T_SSIZE_CLEAN
#include <Python.h>

static PyObject*
test_func (PyObject* self, PyObject* args){
    return PyLong_FromLong(10);
}

static PyMethodDef testmethods[] = {
	{"testfunc",test_func,METH_VARARGS,"testing building ext"},
	{NULL,NULL,0,NULL},
};

static struct
PyModuleDef TestModule = {
	PyModuleDef_HEAD_INIT,
	"test",
	NULL,
	testmethods,
};

PyMODINIT_FUNC
PyInit_test (void){
	return PyModule_Create(&TestModule);
}

And the setup.py file is as below.

from setuptools import Extension,setup

module1 = Extension("test",
                    sources = ["test.c"]
                    )

setup (name = "testext", 
    version = "0.0.1",
    description = "Testing...",
    ext_modules = [module1]
    )

so when I run python setup.py build_ext, it builds the extension well, but then test_func doesn’t appear in the extension.

>>>import test
>>>dir(test)
['__builtins__', '__cached__', '__doc__', '__file__','__loader__','__name__','__package__','__path__','__spec__']
>>>

I expected to see test_func somewhere but can’t see it, and definitely can’t call it . So please help a frustrated soul meet a deadline :sweat_smile: :smiling_face_with_tear:

You’re importing Python’s testsuite rather than your extension. Use a different name than test.

>>> import test
>>> test.__file__
'/usr/lib64/python3.10/test/__init__.py'
3 Likes

Oh my God, Thank you so much :grin:, someone edited the some test files and one of the changes was the adding that test extension file. So I guess it was colliding with the one for python. Thanks, I’ve rectified the problem. Now back on track.