IDLE not allowing me to write complete program

I need python to be able to complete my assignments for my computer science classes that I am taking. IDLE is only allowing me to write the full code only one line at a time. How to a change this setting so that I am able to write the ENTIRE code before attempting to run it??

Seems that Irregardless of which version, even unchecking to box to install the IDLE part, still nets the same results. How do I resolve this issue??

It sounds like you’re using the REPL. Does it have a >>> prompt in the left margin?

You’ll need to do File->New File in the main menu and save the program to a file before you can run it.

[Edit] Also, there’s no such word as “irregardless”. The word is you want is “regardless”.

ok and to tell python to load the program???

File->Open… to open the file.

use Run → Run Module to run the file in the editor. Note that IDLE Shell is imitating the standard Python REPL, which is based on other language Read-Eval-Print loops, which (nearly) always execute 1 line-command-expression-statement at a time.

I wonder whether it is time to modernise IDLE’s GUI and bring it more in line with other IDEs?

(Warning: I don’t use other IDEs so much of the following is speculation.)

Rather than separate editor and REPL windows (the status quo), it might be easier for people to intuit the work flow if IDLE defaults to a single window containing the file editor on the left and the REPL on the right, side by side? Or one above the other.

Paned view, in ASCII art, horizontal mode:

================== IDLE Window ====================

if IDLE defaults to a single window containing the file editor on the left and the REPL on the right, side by side?

I (and others) work with IDLE that way, but with Shell on left, and have ideas for modifying IDLE (with tabbed pages also). Turtledemo is a prototype example.

1 Like

Bloody Discuss has deleted half of my post, despite me putting it inside triple backticks.