Are there other ways to donate to PSF (in addition to PayPal and check)?

I was looking to make a donation. And, I see that my only two options are PayPal and check. Neither of these options works for me. I wanted to find out if there are any other ways to use my credit card to donate? Thanks

1 Like

You can donate using credit card via https://www.python.org/psf/donations/

• Please use the button above or this link to donate using a credit card or your PayPal account. You don’t need a PayPal account to use the donation button.

That link says:

Payments are processed by PayPal, but may be made either with your credit card or your existing PayPal account. If you wish to use a credit card, once on the PayPal site click the link “Don’t have a PayPal account?”, which will take you to a credit card form. A PayPal account is not required.

Thomas Wouters is also running a matching scheme: if you donate, he will match your donation, and his employer Google will also match his donations, so it will triple the impact!

Alternatively, monthly or one-time sponsorships can be made via GitHub Sponsors.

I just tried and failed to donate without a PayPal account.

I entered an email address here and clicked Next:

Then filled in my credit card details in the top half:

And left the “Create you PayPal account” in the lower half empty but it said it’s required:

I didn’t see any option to donate without logging in or creating an account. I think this might vary by country (I’m in Finland), so I suggest trying it out.

I asked PSF accounting about this, and unfortunately it seems PayPal has some issues with country-specific or even person-specific rules that aren’t always disclosed or discoverable. (The pages will get updated to make that more clear, after the holidays.)

All the donation options are listed on Support the PSF with a Donation or by becoming a Supporting Member! | Python Software Foundation – I don’t know if Zelle, ACH or Trasferwise are options in your case, or whether they take credit cards. If all else fails, you can always ask PSF accounting directly by emailing psf-donations@python.org.

2 Likes

Hi @red ! Just chiming in to say that the accounting team can definitely help you out directly if you email psf-donations@python.org as Thomas mentioned. And thank you for supporting the PSF and persevering through the payment hurdles: )
-Loren

1 Like