Creating a site for spreading information about symbols and emojis

Hi, I just recently completed my BSCS degree and actually want to create a site for it. Can anyone guide me to the relevant resources where I can start learning web development in Python? I just stumbled upon my competitor’s website, who has created a small site that teaches symbols and emojis techniques, so I have learned all these techniques from my university.

How much learning do I need to create a simple site like this? Or can anyone do it for the smallest amount of money?

Start small. What are you trying to achieve? For example, one very useful tool would be a simple list of emoji, categorized and organized so they can be found. (I’ve used this site but it’s not perfect and is full of ads, so there’s definitely room for others doing a similar job.) Are you trying to let people research the meanings behind things, or select them more visually? Once you figure out what you’re trying to do, start with the very very smallest part of that - even if it isn’t something that you would ever show to people and say “hey, use this site”, but just enough that it’s usable. And then I would recommend trying out the Flask tutorial to delve into one of the popular-but-simple tools for creating a web site in Python.

Have fun with it! The world is your oyster, as they say.

1 Like

First, what other things are you already able to do in Python? Also, what do you understand already about how modern web sites work? Are you familiar with the underlying data formats (HTML, CSS, JSON) and with Javascript (you will almost certainly have to write some eventually)? Are you familiar with AJAX and the idea of REST APIs? Make sure you understand the fundamentals first. It’s good that you have a relevant degree now, but there are any number of specialties out there, and it’s possible to have all sorts of blind spots.

There are many competing “web frameworks” you can use for a task like this; they tend to use a lot of the same idioms. In particular, in most cases you will be writing code that uses decorators to indicate that a specific function will handle web requests for a certain route; the framework will parse the URL for you and pass arguments to your function, and you will return either a) some data structure that will be used to fill in a template somewhere else (either an HTML template on the server, or else it gets converted to JSON that is returned to an AJAX request made by your client code) or b) an already rendered template (typically, by calling the rendering function explicitly). The actual logic of operating the server (listening to requests and dispatching responses; possibly setting up separate threads or processes, or using asynchronous programming idioms, in order to handle multiple requests in parallel; etc.) is all handled by the framework. However, you will still need to have a clear understanding of client-server architecture generally.

A newer framework that seems to get a lot of positive attention, and work well for simple projects, is FastAPI. The documentation includes a full tutorial.

This isn’t really quantifiable. However, money is never really required; it’s just something you can exchange for (someone else’s) time.

In terms of how that site [the one that you’ve linked] was created, you could do something like that in as much time as it takes to learn how WordPress works, which is how said site was created (so far as I can tell).

There are people who will be happy to take your money, but tbh, I’m sure you could learn how to use WP and do something like that for yourself; it’s not that hard, certainly nowhere close to what it would take to create something like that, from the ground up with Python/Flask.