Stop install from cleaning up after failure, please

I get a c compilation failure during install of “open-cravat” and I would like to see the files involved.
On CentOS7, python3.6, pip9.0.3, gcc4.9.2

building ‘multidict._multidict’ extension
creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.6
creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.6/multidict
gcc -pthread -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU
_SOURCE -fPIC -fwrapv -fPIC -I/usr/include/python3.6m -c multidict/_multidict.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.6/multidict/_multidict.o -O2 -std=c99 -Wall -Wsign-compare -Wconversion -fno-strict-aliasing -pedantic
multidict/_multidict.c:1:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
#include “Python.h”
^
compilation terminated.
error: command ‘gcc’ failed with exit status 1

/usr/include/python3.6m has only pyconfig-64.h, so I would like to see what’s going on the mulitdict.c. Or am I left diving into /that/ project too?

If you’re installing from public distribution, submit a bug report. Failed installations from these will be cleaned up as I’m guessing it’s not the end user’s responsibility to debug

If you’re installing from source (which is not the case here: multidict looks to be an external dependency), try python setup.py install. Build files will go into the “build/” directory, and shouldn’t be cleaned up after failure

For your specific problem, my guess is that you don’t have the development files for Python installed. On Ubuntu, this is solved with apt install python3-dev

1 Like

Ah yes. The dev pieces are likely missing. Thank you. That could be a real problem in this env.