Introducing this category and each other

My name is Brett and I am the dev manager for the Python extension for VS Code (I am also a Python core dev and steering council member). As outlined in About the Editor/IDE Integration category, I created this category as a place for those of us who work on Python integrations for editors and IDEs so we can talk about whatever.

If you feel up for it, please feel free to introduce yourself and what editor/IDE you help integrate Python for!

15 Likes

My name is AndrĆ© and I do not specifically work on integrating Python into an editor/IDE as such but am interested in editor/IDEs that could support additional plugins for Python-related tools. More specifically, Iā€™m looking at the possibility of eventually integrating Friendly-traceback into editor/IDEs.

Currently, the friendliest environment for doing so is VS Code (thanks Brett!) as illustrated on https://aroberge.github.io/friendly-traceback-docs/docs/html/editor.html. One really neat feature of VS Code that I discovered is the ability of clicking on a file location appearing on a Python traceback and have VS Code open the file at that location. This is something I plan to build upon for VS Code users interested in using Friendly-traceback.

While it is already in use in some other projects (such as HackInScience.org), Friendly-traceback is still in alpha development stage. Once it is a bit more mature, I would really like to be able to have it runnable ā€œat the click of a buttonā€ in as many editors/IDEs as possible. (See also https://aroberge.github.io/friendly-traceback-docs/docs/html/plugins.html.)

3 Likes

:wave: Hey folks, I help make Emacs and Python work together via conda :smile:

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Paul Everitt, developer advocate with PyCharm. Thanks Brett for setting this up.

8 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m Fabio and Iā€™m the developer for PyDev.

Iā€™ve been using/integrating Python in IDEs for quite a while ā€“ including integrating/improving its debugger for other editors/IDEs such as VSCode Python and PyCharm :wink:

5 Likes

My name is Andrey Vlasovskikh and Iā€™m the PyCharm team lead. Python is my favourite programming language since 2005 and iā€™m still in :heart: with Python. Iā€™m passionate about tooling and static code analysis for Python. I participated a little bit in PEP 484 Type Hints and PEP 561 Distributing and Packaging Type Information.

If you are interested in developing plugins for PyCharm, please donā€™t hesitate to ask me any questions, I will be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Thank you @brettcannon for creating this Category and inviting tooling developers!

9 Likes

Thanks @brettcannon for reaching out to us at SublimeLinter, the code linting framework for Sublime Text. SublimeLinter provides integration for any linter-like command line tool into ST. We provide a configuration layer, pass editor contents to the tool, and we read and parse the toolā€™s output and integrate that back into the editor. So our integration isnā€™t as deep as with a typical LSP or language-specific solution, itā€™s characterised more by its breadth and consistency when using many different languages and linters. Our primary target audience, in fact probably matching the target audience for the Sublime Text editor, is users who in a given work day edit bits and pieces of PHP, JS, CSS, Python, Bash, config files, and more across several projects.
We have wrappers for most linters in any language, including Python tools like MyPy, Flake8, pydocstyle, etc. SublimeLinter is written in Python, because we have no choice :laughing: (the ST API is in Python) but I also believe it wouldnā€™t have been such an ongoing success (the project will be 10 years old coming March) if the language wasnā€™t such a joy to work with.

5 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Dave Halter, working on the open source projects Jedi (Python autocompletion/goto/refactoring/code search) and Parso (Python parser).

I generally wonā€™t be very active here, but feel free to tag me if you feel like it!

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tobias Kohn, a former teacher turned academic, aiming to make computing more accessible to those who are not expertsā€”in particular students who take their first steps in programming. While we all know that Python is an awesome language, you also need the right tools to use it, of course :wink: (which is why we are all here I guess). So, I created a small IDE called TigerJython with some additional support for learners, such as improved error messages. With the help of a few great friends, our IDE has turned into a very rewarding project and our Java-based IDE is now complemented by a web version based on Skulpt. Whenever I have a free minute I am working on a new open sourced version of TigerJython.

I am also the author of the IDE used in the Jython Environment for Music, which started off with the same core, but is more geared towards college-level students and artists.

When writing code in a scientific or ā€˜productionā€™ context (rather than education), I am a big fan of PyCharm and IntelliJ and thus happy to see folks from the JetBrains team here :slight_smile: . Thanks for providing us with such a great IDE to start with!

And, last but not least: thanks Brett for setting this category up!

Cheers,
Tobias

4 Likes

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m Carlos Cordoba, the maintainer of Spyder, an open source IDE to do scientific programming and data science in Python. Spyder is a PyQt application and integrates with a lot of libraries from the Scientific Python stack, such as Matplotlib, Pandas, Numpy, IPython, Sympy, Cython and Scipy.

Itā€™s nice to have a place to discuss on how to improve Pythonā€™s support for IDEs. Thanks @brettcannon for creating it and inviting us to participate.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Matthias Bussonnier,

Iā€™m a developper of Jupyter and current maintainer of IPython.
Day to day, Iā€™m more of a vim user, so any vim tips are welcome.

Current master of IPython will integrate with stack-data to also display better tracebacks; Iā€™d love to also have integration with with friendly-traceback. There is actually a number of similiar-ish project (rich, pretty-error, and a few other, it would be good to have a concerted effort)

I also currently help maintain pyflyby as part of my day job which does some syntactic analysis and code reformatting.

4 Likes

I had been thinking of integrating friendly-traceback with IPython and your comment was enough to actually record this (https://github.com/aroberge/friendly-traceback/issues/126).

1 Like

Iā€™m Michał Krassowski and I co-maintain JupyterLab LSP bindings jupyterlab-lsp. Looking forward to this initiative shaping up and future integration in the ecosystem of LSP servers for Python (whether pygls-based, or third-party such as pyls).

2 Likes

Hi Tim,

Your question is unlikely to be specific to Spyder, and so may be more
appropriate on the general Users topic.

How did you install psycopg2?

Where is ā€œthe local directoryā€ for psycopg2?

What version of Python are you running with Spyder, and if you run

from sys import path
print(path)

what do you get?

Please do not post screen shots of the output, copy and paste it as
text.

1 Like

Hey, I thought Iā€™d posted on here before a while back, but since Iā€™m more active on here again, I figured Iā€™d introduce myself here.

Iā€™m C.A.M. Gerlach, also a Spyder core dev, lead maintainer of the Spyder docs, website and theme, and co-maintainer of QtPy and some other support packages, among others. nowadays I actually donā€™t work as much on the Spyder core much, but help with UX, packaging, linter integration and CI/devops-related issues where I can.

For some background, like much of Spyderā€™s primary audience but unlike most of the devs here, Iā€™m actually a (satellite/ML-focused, NASA-funded atmospheric) scientist by trade, not formally educated as a programmer, and work on Spyder and a number of other open source projects on the side. I originally got involved in Spyder 4.5 years ago now (seems like yesterdayā€¦), contemporaneously to learning and practically using Python, started out managing the issue tracker, then started contributing significant code, and later focused more on mentoring and PR review, finally moving on to my current maintainer/code reviewer and advisory responsibilities.

To emphasize a key point about Spyder, unlike most (all?) of the editors/IDEs here, it is written entirely in Python, for Python, which makes Python integration particularly straightforward, makes it easy for our users (who on average are less expert programmers than heavy duty software dev-focused IDEs) to contribute to development and has allowed us to rich help, interactive exploration, analysis, visualization and other tools for many years, with a small fraction of the financial resources or corporate support of other IDEs. On the other hand, this tight coupling has made our support for other languages much more limited; its certainly possible and some users have custom plugins and other tools that do so, but its not as well developed as alternatives.

Also, particularly important on the integration front, the Spyder team co-maintained python-language-server (pyls), but development mostly stalled out there and has since been basically unmaintained, with our own community-maintained python-lsp-server being the de-facto successor nowadays. We also are the maintainers of Jupyter QtConsole, which is integrated as Spyderā€™s IPython console and can also be used standalone, and PyWinPty which backs Spyder-Terminal and other projects, as well as an ecosystem of first-party plugins.

Since I know there seems to be a death of it sometimes, if you ever want/need input from someone on the scientific Python side, feel free to ping me (or any of us); weā€™re certainly not authorities on scientific Python, but we can put you in touch with many of the most core luminaries and maintainers (Travis, Ralf, etc) as needed. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey @matteoguadrini , welcome! Just to clarifyā€”per Brettā€™s OP above explaining what this category and thread is about, are you involved in developing those projects, or Python-related plugins, integrations and tools for them? If not, you might want to post in the general Welcome category instead. Thanks!

Iā€™m sorry. I misunderstanding the topic of thread. I will move the post into Welcome topic.
Sorry againā€¦

1 Like