PEP 656: Platform Tag for Linux Distributions Using Musl

It is with pleasure that I formally accept PEP 656. Congratulations @uranusjr and thanks for moving this through to a successful conclusion.

As with perennial manylinus, I don’t claim to be an expert in the technical details of MUSL, so I’m taking the view that the technical experts in the community have had the opportunity to flag any concerns or issues, and the lack of any such feedback indicates that we have consensus that the proposal is technically sound.

The approach of requiring wheels claiming musllinux compatibility to work on all “mainstream” distributions, and to “play nice with others” matches the approach in PEP 600, and I expect it to work as well here as it did in that case. But I would advise people working on the specification to take a cautious view over what gets admitted as “available everywhere”, and in particular to focus on distributions used in containers as the “lowest common denominator”, as containers are the driving motivation for this specification.

One concern I have with the specification is that the necessity for wheels to bundle “private” copies of any libraries they use may result in an increased size for images relying on many pre-built musllinux wheels, as opposed to custom-built binaries that share libraries. This may be an issue for containers (where overall size is important) and I encourage the people working on the practical aspects of the musllinux toolchain to monitor the impact of this.

10 Likes