Help with WARNING after installing Python 3.9.5 for MacOS 10.9 or later

Hi all

I’m totally new to programming, but have just decided to learn about it.

After installing Python, I followed the instructions to install a curated set of SSL certificates from the Cerifi project by double-clicking on the Install Certificates icon in the Finder window.

“One more thing: to verify the identity of secure network connections, this Python needs a set of SSL certificates. You can download and install a current curated set from the Certifi project by double-clicking on the Install Certificates icon in the Finder window.”

I then got confirmation that the certificates were installed but also got the following warning (in green):

Do I need to upgrade to pip version 21.1.2? If I do, can you please tell me how to do it? I don’t understand what they mean by via the ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

Thanks in advance!

pip is the tool that installs Python package. After having installed what you wanted, it just lets you know that a newer version of itself is available and you could upgrade. So if you want to ignore the warning, that’s totally fine (especially given that the difference is just from version 21.1.1 to 21.1.2).

If you do choose to upgrade pip, just paste the command in the terminal. For that you will not want an exit on the previous line since that closes the shell. So just start a shell and paste:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip

to tell pip to update itself (depending on your configuration, you might need sudo /Library/Frameworks/... to run the command with system priviledges, or, in the Mac OS speak, as an “administrator”).

Hi Jean

Thanks so much for explaining that to me. I have a question regarding pasting the command in the terminal. As I don’t really know how the Terminal works I am just trying to ensure I do not mess up my computer.

I assume that when you say “So just start a shell and paste:”, you mean “open the terminal”.

When I open the Terminal, this is what I see:

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 19.38.35

Can I paste the command after the % symbol?

Thanks

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

yes, you can.

What you see before the % symbol is username@computername currentdirectory, whereby the ~ symbol stands for your home directory.

Cheers, Dominik

Thanks @Blackward and @jeanas ! I have now updated it successfully!

1 Like