About the task cancel messages

Recently an interesting paper about task cancellation has been published:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/osdi22/presentation/sethi
Although the paper did not mention Python at all, I think that Python 3.11’s asyncio already covers most issues.

In addition to the paper’s summary about cancellation patterns, I think we need to address:

• Proper task (or task group) abstractions/extensions for long-running (open-ended) tasks, similar to my suggestion for PersistentTaskGroup (though the naming may need update)
  • Tracking the source of cancellation (probably via the path name of module who called .cancel() as an intrinsic argument to asyncio.CancelledError, as a replacement of cancel messages)
  • Prevention of cancelling shielded tasks or an improved abstraction of asyncio.shield() to guarantee completion of such tasks upon event loop shutdown
  • Tracking and potentially force-terminating hanging shielded tasks with explicit signals or timeouts
  • Prevention of in-mid or double cancelling the tasks who are now performing cleanup in reaction to a prior cancellation, or more clear examples and description in the docs to demonstrate how to avoid such situations – or we may need some better abstraction for cancellation