Action needed: Participate in Mentored Sprint at PyCon US

One of the accepted PyCon US Hatchery program this year is the "mentored sprint for diverse beginners" program, where the goal is to pair up open source maintainers with diverse group of new contributors.

More details: https://us.pycon.org/2019/hatchery/mentoredsprints/

I’m helping to organize this sprint. Since many Python core developers are attending PyCon, I think it would be great for CPython to participate and have core devs available as mentors. Experienced contributors are of course welcome to mentor as well, but it would be great for core devs to be around, help with decision making or merge PRs.

My personal wish is to have at least 4 core devs mentoring at this sprint. (more would be better!)

The mentored sprint is separate from the regular sprint. This sprint will take place during main conference days, Saturday, May 4th, from 2:35pm to 6:30pm. (4 hours only). I really value you all’s time, so if you could mentor for one 2-hours shift, that would be really great and appreciated! I hope with this advance notice, you’ll be able to plan your time at PyCon accordingly.

Please let me know if you’re able to participate and mentor for the sprint (by participating in the poll below, or feel free to DM me).
I will get everyone’s email address.

Thank you!!

• I’ll be there, and I can mentor for 4 hours
  • I’ll be there, and I can mentor for 2 hours
  • Nope

0 voters

(Yury Selivanov) #2

I’ll try to be there.

(Pablo Galindo Salgado) #3

I will be there as well :slight_smile:

(Victor Stinner) #4

I checked the schedule to see the list of talks Saturday and see when is my talk. Then I recalled that I didn’t get an email from Pycon US to say if my talk is accepted or not. Oops, stupid me, I was confused. There is no talks schedule yet.

When do you need an answer? Any idea when talks acceptance will be announced?

I would prefer to be sure to be able to attend the sprint 4 hours before saying anything.

(I’m interested to help.)

Hmm I don’t know when talk acceptance will be announced.
I’ll need to know before March 14.
Thanks to all who replied so far!

I’ve edited my original post with a Poll! Please check again :point_up:

(Carol Willing) #7

Talk acceptances should be going out very, very soon.

Thanks! :smiley: Saw the email for PyCon, and I’ve requested my talk to be scheduled outside of the mentored sprint timeblock :pray:t2:

(Barry Warsaw) #9

Rejections too! I went 0/2. On the bright side, now I can relax at Pycon.

:worried:
So now you have no excuse and can mentor at the sprint? :smile: @barry

(Barry Warsaw) #11

Indeed! I’ve been mentoring Nina Z, and I’ve really quite enjoyed it. Hopefully she’s found it valuable.

(Emily Morehouse) #12

I’ll be there as well, assuming that my other PyCon duties don’t pull me away.