Adding char* based APIs for Unix

There are two major kinds of embedding scenario:

• Applications embedding Python as a scripting engine (think Blender, Maya, etc)
  • Applications that are providing alternatives to the standard CPython CLI (think the isolated-by-default system-python idea in PEP 432, alternative REPLs, the bootstrapping no-import-system binary used to freeze importlib, etc)

Apps in the second category currently have a hard time correctly emulating CPython’s argument and environment handling, since a large chunk of it is hidden inside Py_Main. Even if you call Py_Initialize and then Py_Main, it isn’t quite the same thing, since not everything gets reconfigured after Py_Main has had a chance to look at the command line arguments.

So if we expose our command line processing machinery directly, then embedding applications can use that part of the system like a support library, rather than having to try to emulate it themselves.

1 Like

Yeah, right now, almost all the new “configuration” read by Py_Main() is ignored and will not be applied. Python keeps the “old” configuration read by Py_Initialize().

The problem is that many Python objects are kept alive between Py_Initialize() and Py_Main(). For this reason, it’s not possible to change the memory allocator in such case.

I would suggest to deprecate calling Py_Initialize() before Py_Main().

1 Like

I created Issue 36204: Deprecate calling Py_Main() after Py_Initialize()? Add Py_InitializeFromArgv()? - Python tracker to discuss this issue.

FYI I finished (merged) the implementation and I closed the issue :wink: We can now discuss in Issue 36204: Deprecate calling Py_Main() after Py_Initialize()? Add Py_InitializeFromArgv()? - Python tracker if we need to add a new Py_InitializeFromArgv() API.

Oh wow, Discourse disallowed me to post a “4th reply in a row”, even if I replied to 4 different messages. It forced me to edit a previous message… So here is my 4th message:

Even Py_DecodeLocale() can lead to mojibake since Python 3.7 :frowning: See he issue that I just created:
https://bugs.python.org/issue36202

Most or even all issues described in this discussion are solved by my PEP 587: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0587/ :slight_smile: PyConfig_SetBytesString() and PyConfig_SetBytesArgv() decode bytes string for you, and the PEP adds a new “preinitialization” phase with a dedicated PyPreConfig configuration to configure the LC_CTYPE locale. The PEP allows to parse argv as command line arguments. It implements the 2 use cases described by Nick Coghlan with 2 separated default configuration: “Python Configuration” and “Isolated Configuration”.

3 Likes

Thank you for adding bytes based APIs, and congrats for your PEP 587.
It looks very tough job.

1 Like

You’re welcome. And you’re right, it was a very tough job :slight_smile: The implementation took me longer than one year.