Can we do something for 996 programmers in China?

Chinese Government and most tech companies don’t care about programmers while they are very talent and skillful. As a developer in China, I know that most developers in China are much willing to work remotely for companies outside China while most opportunies are not open for these talented and kind people.This situation should change.

I believe that in the near future, there will be more companies adopting remote work style and developers will be more social. Then, Chinese developers don’t have to stay in the tie-1 cities like Beijing, Shanghai to get a job while suffering from the high living cost and pressures from family and company.

Hope for that.

3 Likes

You can do nothing , We can do nothing … Because they will treat us like animals.

I agree with !996 very much.

很多码农,生活习惯和一般的工薪,完全不同,并且任务繁重/繁多,996完全解决不了问题,也完全没有效率。

从生物学上来说,我们都是动物。

We can do nothing. 因为这是整个社会结构的问题,包括房价。

Hi Guido, I am Chinese developer. Thank you for your kindness.
I have an idea for this. As far as the actual situation is concerned, it is not appropriate to simply object to 996. Adding non-mandatory additional clauses to an open source agreement to remind companies that use projects that use such agreements to comply with local labor employment laws. At the same time, Senthil’s advice is very reasonable.

Seki

I am going to ask a moderator to close this thread. I am grateful for all the feedback, but at this point we’re not hearing any new perspectives, and nobody answered my actual question, how we can get more attention for the cause. I am going to ponder what I can do next.

8 Likes

There are so many Chinese companies that implement 996 work schedule. While the main problem is the neglect of the labour law, which states that labourers shall work for no more than 44 hours per week on average. Many Chinese laws have not been enforced, which leads to the fact that many employers exploit their employees a lot. The only thing that can do, is to let the Chinese labour law enforced.

Many Chinese managers don’t know that 996 usually cause production output reduction. If you can share more experience regarding management of western company, it may be help to change their thought.

• a Chinese programmer

To be honest, there is no particularly good way to do it. It is impossible to defend all rights in China in reality (it will be arrested in the name of stability). So, I hope to have as many projects as possible to add an anti 996icu license.

Hello everyone, here is a Discord exchange group about 996, which has the information of the GitHub’s PR and Slack, as well as the channel for communication. Everyone can come here to exchange and learn to brag.

Discork Link

Let more open source projects join the 996 licence

Resist the software of these companies

Resist their products at international trade fairs

The White House signs sanctions against overseas branches of these companies

Spreading these blacklist companies makes them notorious

Add the 996 protocol to the python project