Canonicalizing my name

My name is not canonicalized in the source tree. There are “Naoki Inada”, “INADA Naoki”, and “Inada Naoki”.

Devguide says " ensure the patch is attributed correctly with the contributor’s name in Misc/ACKS". I will follow the guide from today. Then,

• I want to change my name in Misc/ACKS from “Naoki Inada” to “Inada Naoki”. Is it OK?
  • Which branch should I change? Only master, or also 3.7 (maintained branch)?
  • How about canonicalizing existing news entries?

I want change small as possible. Misc/ACKS and Misc/NEWS.d/next/* in master branch.

2 Likes

I think this is okay while your name is left recognizable by most people (uses the Latin script).

1 Like

My apologies for the newbie question, but which is your family name? Naoki or Inada? Also, how should one properly address you? Inada-san or Naoki-san?

I agree with Serhiy that it’s totally fine! It’s your name. :slight_smile:

I think it’s up to you.

I think it’s also up to you.

2 Likes

Inada is my family name. And please call Inada-san. It’s convention in Japan.

Japanese name is family name first, like Chinese and Korean.
But Japan reversed name order in English traditionally, like “Naoki Inada” (Given-name first).

To respect Japanese culture, this tradition is changing. Japanese schools teaches family-name first notation now.

I like this changing because it solves confusion about name. Family name first in all of CJK. (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean). No special rule for only Japan.

3 Likes

You might also want to canonicalize/fix commit authorship using Git’s .mailmap file (see the docs or an example).
Beware that it makes your e-mail address more discoverable.

Do you mean adding .mailmap file in python/cpython repository?

Yes. That file should affect all tools that work with Git (including GitHub, AFAIK. And hopefully also the migration scripts that’ll be used when CPython moves away from Git).