PEP 610: Recording the origin of distributions installed from direct URL references

(Arriving from https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/256#issuecomment-572453850)

I’m happy to sponsor this PEP (I didn’t realise you were having trouble getting in touch with Chris).

For local installs, I think we should store them as absolute file URLs, without implicitly resolving symlinks.

For the VCS resolution information, perhaps it would be clearer to store that in a “vcs_info” subdictionary, rather than having it as top-level with the other keys? The extracted VCS type could also move down into that.

Similarly, the hash information could move into an “archive_info” subdict, applicable when an sdist or wheel is supplied directly. I don’t think this information should be present when the URL is a local directory.

Finally, coming from the editable mode discussion thread, I believe that information could also go in this file as a “dir_info” subdict, with an “editable” key. The permitted values would match the “root is purelib” setting in the wheel metadata file.

5 Likes