Equivalent of adding an individual to a kill file?

There is more going on. Discourse bumps the thread up in the Latest category when an ignored user posts a reply. It looks like there is a normal post. Discourse also indicates posts of ignored users with entries like view 1 hidden reply.

Ok, so it’s the same as muted posts: they still appear in Latest AFAICT.

Yes, it’s not perfect. FWIW it’s good enough for my needs, but could do with some tweaks.

2 Likes

Same for me. The main point I care about is to not have to wade through multiple posts that do little more than annoy me.

Seeing replies is difficult to avoid in a medium like Discourse that explicitly rejects the idea of tree-structured discussions, but I’m weirdly sort of OK with seeing patient people comment rationally on a troll’s rants. (It’s a bit odd that quotes of the rant are hidden while the response is there, but whatever).

Post counts and the “New” list are things I already find unreliable, so having them a bit more broken is a cost I’m willing to pay.

I’ve never quite grokked Discourse’s sense of “newness” or “updatedness”, including the blue/grey colour number buttons. Mind you, I’ve never tried too hard either: I just set the home page to “Latest” which seems to come close enough to what I want.

Isn’t this a CoC-related issue? If an individual’s excessive posting rate and an aggressive style of arguing get to a point where they make multiple people uncomfortable, this calls for a some kind of intervention by people wielding executive power, not forcing everyone else to adapt with ignore lists etc.

Not for me. The fact that I don’t happen to care for someone’s posts or their frequency doesn’t put them in contravention of anything except my patience :slight_smile: I have no idea whether the people I’m looking to ignore are the same as others who have posted here.

7 Likes

Only if it’s the same person that multiple people are concerned about¹. And even then, if their communication style irritates me, who’s to say it’s me or them at fault? I’ve avoided naming individuals here for precisely that reason, and I’d appreciate it if people didn’t try to infer who triggered my original post.

¹ And even then, I wouldn’t personally feel it’s necessarily a matter for the CoC. “Assume good faith” applies here as much as anywhere else.

3 Likes

/me impressed by @pf_moore working out how to add a footnote with a superscript :wink:

I have an autohotkey macro that lets me do this with Win-K 1 S (the script is here). But you can also just use raw HTML: <sup>1</sup>.

It probably says too much about how I like convoluted sentences that I felt the need to work out how to do this :slightly_smiling_face:

Well now I’m even more impressed. I do use autohotkey for running programs etc. But I don’t have anything quite so sophisticated set up.

However I do catch myself out in the act of Inception-level parentheses so I try to pull out before they become too deep :slight_smile:

Same here: it’s very confusing. And I can never remember what a “topic” vs. “category” is, so that doesn’t help.

Do you do that on the iOS app? I can’t figure out what that setting might be, but I’d love to find it.

Just the website I’m afraid. ISTR using an android app when we first had a Python discourse. But it seemed to be just a slightly glorified web app so I didn’t bother…

Top right account icon → Click on your own username → Preferences → Interface in the dropdown on the right → Default home page

And remember to save the change (I forgot quite a few times)

1 Like

Thank you, thank you! I never realized that clicking on my username was how I change settings. That’s a well hidden feature!

The Code of Conduct does say that people should respect others time and effort, so you could argue that excessive posting would fall under that. But as Paul said, if someone just has a lot of time to post and the posts aren’t rude then the best we can do is simply suggest/ask the person scale back their posting as they are probably getting ignored at this point.

Obviously when their posts cross the CoC line on their own, thoough, that’s a different matter (which has now occurred), and frequent posting doesn’t help their case.

One cool feature of Discourse that I just discovered is that when a single individual is ignored by 5 or more people the admins get a notification to that affect, thus notifying them that there might be an issue brewing.

5 Likes

I keep getting the feeling that Discourse is full of useful ideas like this, but that I’m somehow missing the goodness because I can’t quite grasp its basic model of presentation. If anyone has pointers to a “this is how I grokked Discourse” blog post or something, please bring them forward :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to start a new topic to ask questions of folks then feel free to, Tim. I’m sure others would find the conversation useful. (And I would try to answer your question but it’s just vague enough for my brain to go “it’s just a forum/mailing list replacement” and not know how to approach clarifying how I approach it beyond expounding upon my workflow here).

A post was split to a new topic: What do people like about Discourse?