Flit 2 release candidate - user testing requested

Hi all,

I’ve just put up a release candidate of Flit 2.0. A lot of code has been reorganised in this release, in particular to separate out the build backend part as flit_core, so it would be really useful if a few people could try it out before 2.0 proper.

The release notes summarise what has changed, and you can install the RC with pip install --pre flit.

Until the 2.0 is out, you’ll need to adjust the build-system table in any pyproject.toml you use with it to allow pre-release versions of the backend:

[build-system]
requires = ["flit_core >=2.0rc2,<3"]
build-backend = "flit_core.buildapi"

(flit init will generate it with the version specifier >=2,<3)

Thanks!

4 Likes

Congratulations! I’ve been looking forward to trying it out :grin:

1 Like

I did some tests with a custom pep517 backend that I’m writing for the Odoo community, and everything worked fine. Thanks for this great tool.

One minor problem I detected is that flit install --symlink --python ... installs console scripts in flit’s environment instead of the target python environment. I think this issue was present before, though. I’ll do some more tests and eventually open an issue.

1 Like

Thanks Stéphane! You fixed something similar to this a few months ago:

Is there another related issue? Or have I somehow undone the fix while refactoring things?

@takluyver I must have misread the output of my previous test, and I can’t reproduce now. So everything works fine with 2.0rc2 for the few tests I made.

Thanks @sbidoul :slightly_smiling_face:

I did an RC3 yesterday to fix a few problems @astrojuanlu found. I plan to make the final release around the end of this week, unless someone finds problems that can’t quickly be resolved.

1 Like

Is this still on track for this week?

1 Like

For once, I’ve stuck to a deadline I set myself. Flit 2.0 is out now.

You’ll want to update pyproject.toml for existing projects, so the build-system table looks like this:

[build-system]
requires = ["flit_core >=2,<3"]
build-backend = "flit_core.buildapi"

flit init should create this automatically for new projects.

Despite the <3 there, I’m thinking of doing Flit 3 some time early next year, to drop support for the old flit.ini files, and to re-drop support for Python 2.

4 Likes