For your consideration: Proposed bylaws changes to improve our membership experience

It’s all very difficult, and I think people are still feeling their way forward by trial & error. For example, here’s a message from 4 years ago:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/thread/2HC5XPURMQL6VRCXPMLQUL7OXBGU6OMS/

It’s an announcement of a 3-month ban from Python core development. But it doesn’t say anything about who was banned, or why. It was apparently a copy of an email sent to the dev in question, but stripped of any identifying info.

I can’t answer why it was sent to python-committers, but doubt it had the hoped-for effect. It did ramp up paranoia among those inclined to doubt the process already.

But you can’t generalize from it either, because there really haven’t been that many “bans” in all. They’re all at least a little different,. and I don’t recall another that didn’t at least identify who was being banned.

I don’t want to sidetrack the rest of your thoughtful message to focus on this, so I’ll leave it there. Really just want to assure you that I don’t think anyone “understands all the ground rules”, because they’re still a work in progress :smile:.

To my eyes, we’ve overdone the “privacy” aspect, when it comes to the offenders’ roles, but less & less so in more recent times. Complicated.

2 Likes