Frustrating DOS Error When Trying To Run PY Visually In Most Windows Forms Programs

All the ones I tried downloading and running was DOS, not a Windows Form. I beg you to please tell me some programs that can run, and work, like a visual EXE, or phone app APK, or newer HTM, but with PY. I’m frustrated and don’t know what to do. I want to download and use these files, but I don’t want to have DOS, I wanted to use it simply for making/changing AI that makes pictures, audio or video. Thank you.

Python hasn’t supported DOS for many years. It’s not clear how many years. It’s at least eight but I’m unsure whether Python worked under DOS previous to that.

Windows hasn’t been based on DOS since Windows XP, so unless you are using Windows 98 or older, you don’t have DOS. (And of course neither Apple Mac nor Linux have ever used DOS.)

Perhaps you can explain what your question is a little bit more carefully? Are you wanting to learn how to program Python? Or just use Python programs?

There is nothing simple about creating an AI that makes pictures or video.

Winston, “python.exe” and “py.exe” are Windows console applications. This means that the system automatically allocates a visible console or terminal for them if they don’t inherit one from the parent process. Applications read and write to a console via special console files that are opened on the console device. Console files are used by default for the standard input, output, and error streams (i.e. stdin, stdout, stderr) of a console application.

A console app can choose to implement either a full-terminal text user interface (TUI) or a command-line interface (CLI). When you run “python.exe” or “py.exe”, what you get is a CLI shell interface that implements a read-eval-print loop (REPL). Alternatively you can run a script via python.exe "<script path>" or py.exe "<script path>", or run a single command via python.exe -c "<command>" or py.exe -c "<command>".

Python on Windows also includes executable files named “pythonw.exe” and “pyw.exe”, intended for use with graphical user interface (GUI) scripts. The difference is simply that these executable files are not flagged as console applications. Thus the system executes them without a console or terminal. This is what gets used by default to run Python’s IDLE integrated development environment. IDLE should be installed by default, with shortcuts in the start menu. It may be closer to what you want if working with a command-line interface in a console/terminal isn’t your cup of tea.

DOS (disk operating system) is any OS that includes support for disk drives and filesystems, which dates back to systems in the late 1960s. There were several DOS systems for personal computers back in the 1980s, such as Apple DOS, Atari DOS, Commodore DOS, TRSDOS, AmigaDOS, and of course Microsoft’s MS-DOS for IBM PCs.

MS-DOS on an x86 CPU is a 16-bit OS with one megabyte of segmented address space (640 KB usable by programs), unless extended (e.g. a 32-bit DOS extender). It has no support for multiple processors, processes, threads, user accounts, or security. However, it can certainly support a graphical user interface (GUI) with application windows and mouse input. That’s basically what Windows 1.0 (1985) was. There were also windowed text interfaces, such as Quarterdeck’s DESQview. Between Windows 3.0 (1990) and Windows ME (2000), legacy 16-bit MS-DOS code was increasingly replaced with code running in 32-bit VXD device drivers, with support for the 32-bit Windows API added in 1995. By the time of Windows ME, they’d pushed the techniques (hacks) about as far as they could go, and the system was notoriously flaky and unstable.

Long before that, Microsoft had already released an alternative version of Windows for servers and high-end workstations called Windows NT. It was the first platform to support the 32-bit Windows API. NT was developed between 1989 and 1993 by a team of engineers that Microsoft poached from Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC). The base NT operating system is a totally new design, if you ignore the concepts and implementation details that the engineers ‘borrowed’ from their previous work on DEC VMS. The last separate NT release was Windows 2000. Subsequently, Microsoft switched to using NT in consumer systems as well as servers, starting with Windows XP / Server 2003. Then came Windows Vista / Server 2008, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2, Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 R2, and Windows 10 / Server 2016-2022. These are all NT systems.

“Winston, ‘python.exe’ and ‘py.exe’ are Windows console applications.”

Sorry, I might have gotten “DOS” confused with “Console”. I meant the apps that look like the system of a VCR; Letters/Symbols over a one color background. (But though VCRs had a blue and white screen, I get black and light grey/gray in a window.) I want to use something more modern-like, like a Windows Form, like the ability for Hi-Color, picture-compatible buttons.

Python is a programming language. Programming languages do not provide graphical interfaces. They can be used to write applications, and those applications may or may not provide a graphical interface.

It sounds like you’re looking for a graphical program to do some AI-related stuff. Such an application may certainly be written in Python, in whole or in part. But Python itself does not provide that functionality.

Where and how do I get started?

I saw some posts on the Internet with codes written in PY or Python, but I don’t know how to run it.

Get started with what? If you’re looking to learn Python, the recommended starting point is the official tutorial. Becoming proficient with Python will let you use libraries such as PyTorch, scikit-learn, and TensorFlow to solve AI-related problems. Of course, each of these libraries also have a bit of a learning curve that must be overcome before they can be used effectively.

In many cases, the programs will include some sort of documentation, such as a README file, which explains how to use them. If it’s a simple script, it can be run from the command line (what you call DOS) like so:

python <path/to/script.py>

In Windows, the command may also be py <path/to/script.py>.

Most such programs are entirely command line-based, and do not provide graphical interfaces.

Is there a way I can test Python files? (Like ‘Run’ in Visual Studio, Debug Nyquist in Audacity or opening an HTML page written on my computers memory)

I wrote pages in CSS, HTML, and EXE programs in Visual Studio, is it possible to convert back and forth of Python? (PY <-> VBS, HTM, EXE, NY)

Is there a program to correct code similar from any other writing code to Python for beginners? (Though the ability similar to Auto-Correct, let me click it manually to make a correction)

IDEs (integrated development environments) provide this functionality. There are many IDEs for Python. Some popular ones are PyCharm, Spyder, and VSCode.

No, not really. The process you describe is called transpiling, and while it is theoretically possible, it is a complex task with often dubious results.

Is there an application/code besides Python that can create, edit, or mess around with my own Artifical Intellengence file(s)?

What is an Artificial Intelligence file? Do you already have such files, or do you wish to create them from scratch?

Regardless, the purpose of this forum is to provide help with Python-specific questions. If you’re looking for program recommendations, perhaps try Google?

I asked you to try the IDLE integrated development environment that’s installed by default. Did you try it?

If you want a point-and-click programming experience, use Scratch instead of Python.

Chris, it looks interesting, but I have to ask; how do I detect when I say something? I checked the “Sound” and “Text to Speech” tabs, but I can’t seem to find a way to detect voice and when I say something, like “Turn Black”, and it fades to black, or say “Who are you”, and it replies in TTS. Do I have to use specific letter sounds, or certain phrases in sound, or would it detect only my voice when I try that because I used my voice?

Chris, In Scratch, How do I use if-then-else for asking specific things, like;

Speak (Sometime in the future)
Else If (What is the time)
Speak (Tomorrow)
Else
Speak (I don't know what you mean by) + Answer

?

I’m having an issue getting the “if then” on Scratch to work;

speak (I am a bot. I am being tested. Say Something.)
ask (I am a bot. I am being tested. Say something.) and wait
speak (Say something else...)
if (answer) = (I am a car, not a helicopter).
speak (So you can not fly?)
if (answer = Yes) then
speak (Yes you can? What is this, 2050? It is)
speak current year
else
speak (Too bad. Maybe in the future cars will fly.)

And so far it (somewhat) reads in the first typed text, but only replies on one thing for everything, but when I write something specific with the If-Then, nothing happens. Also, how do I use voice to write/command it?

Update: I got the answer part working, but still need help using STT to respond to the TTS.

Is it possible to transpile between Scratch and other formats? I saved it to my computer and it appeared as a ZIP folder with the projects data (Sounds, Words in Asking/Answering, Words in TTS, etc.), but my browser showed an empty screen trying to open the page file inside the SB3 as ZIP, but opening it normally with Scratch worked fine.

One of the reasons I mentioned Scratch is that you seem in need of a tutorial on programming fundamentals. Take a tutorial. Go through it. Learn.

I guess you will find “Jupyter Notebook” handy. It gives Python a GUI interface.

Search also for “Anaconda” on how to install an “off-the-shelf” version of Jupyter Notebook.

We’re not Scratch experts here. You already probably know more about it than we do.