The migration from bugs.python.org to GitHub Issues is scheduled to start on
Friday 25th April 8th in the evening (UTC).
Throughout the migration it will not be possible to report new issues or comment on existing ones. Once all the issues have been migrated from bpo to GitHub, you will be able to comment using GitHub Issues. bpo will remain available in read-only mode.
For more detailed information, you can consult the migration and risk management plans.
I will use this post to provide real-time updates on the migration (all times are UTC):
2022-03-24 19:00: Migrations on GitHub are suspended on Fri 25, 12:00 - 16:30 UTC
- This should not affect the migration unless it’s extended in the evening.
2022-03-25 10:00: The Engineering team at GitHub suggested to postpone the migration due to the ongoing issues.
We are now aiming for next Friday, April 1st
2022-03-31 06:00: The Engineering team at GitHub asked for another week.
- We are now aiming for Friday, April 8th
- 2022-04-08 17:15: The migration will begin in about 1 hour
- 2022-04-08 18:15: bpo is now read-only; bpo export started
2022-04-08 18:50: export done; ECI import started
- This is expected to take about 12 hours
- 2022-04-09 04:30: import currently still at 35%
2022-04-09 08:40: import reached 50%
- We expect 5+ hours to import remaining issue comments
- Issue events will follow (should be faster)
2022-04-09 13:45: import reached 66%
- Issue events are now being imported
- ETA in ~2 more hours, transfer will follow
- The extra time required for the import is apparently
due to a recently added ECI feature
- 2022-04-09 18:00: everything imported, running post-processing
2022-04-09 20:15: post-processing completed
- During the import some events got duplicated
- GitHub will investigate the issue next week
- We will proceed with the transfer anyway
2022-04-09 20:45: issue transfer started
- ETA in ~24h
- 2022-04-10 06:00: 50% of the issues have been transferred
2022-04-10 15:40: all issues have been transferred
- We will now perform some post-processing and checks
2022-04-10 16:05: issue mapping started on bpo
- We ran into problems during the mapping
- You might have received some emails if you were
subscribed to old issues – you can ignore/delete them
- We are currently looking into the problem
- Issue mapping is not a showstopper and has been postponed
2022-04-10 19:30: The migration is officially completed
- Read the official announcement: GitHub Issues are now live!
2022-04-11 15:00: issue mapping now completed on bpo
- This was postponed due to some problems