Great Python talks in past/recent events/conferences

What are your favourite/great past events’ talks related to advaced topic or libraries? For instance past PyCon, PyData, EuroPython… etc. Let me know! :slightly_smiling_face:

(I don’t know if this is the right section :face_with_peeking_eye:)

1 Like

I have so many. Is there any particular advanced topic you’re interested in?

1 Like

I’m reading Fluent Python in my free time to learn more about the language. Recently I develop something using async but I wish to get to know more about type hints (recent features and their praticaly usage), testing (never done it), profiling and micro optimization (scalene or code patterns), memory management, and maybe a strong foundation of data structures and classes (I still have to read about inheritance and metaclasses). I believe there are many concepts I don’t know the names yet, so feel free to suggest your favourites without my bias :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’re a bunch. This should keep you busy for at least a day!

Beyond the videos, I would strongly recommend reading Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) for features you’re interested in. They’ll describe designs of features and the reasoning behind said designs, which can help with understanding why things are the way they are.

Python Foundations

The following three talks are really great for expanding your Python beyond the basics – how do you get closer to what so many people call ‘Pythonic’ language. There’ll be some references to Python 2 in these talks that you can ignore, but there’s a lot of wisdom in here.

Testing

I really like the testing introductions from Ned Batchelder, who also maintains a popular code coverage tool called coverage.py.

Type Hints

I don’t have much on Type Hints, but searching for mypy is a good start. That said, here’s a great talk you should watch on Type Hints from Guido at PyCon 2015 talking about introducing Type Hints into the language.

Profiling

Here’s a long tutorial (3+ hours) that will take you through some profiling. It’s old-ish, but should still be watchable.

Misc.

These are three just interesting talks that talk about a variety of things.

6 Likes

This is a fantastic list that preempted almost all my suggestions :slight_smile: I can only add:

• Jack Diederich - Stop Writing Classes - a provocatively titled talk that covers several contexts where classes are overused or simply unnecessary. “Simple is better than complex”, after all.
3 Likes

This morning I started reading PEP8 and I’m looking forward to watching your suggestions. Your message really replied to what I was looking for, with my same enthusiasm, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Someday when you’re in the python REPL, try out the following commands:

>>> import this

>>> import antigravity