Growing the Python user base

Respectful Greetings, oh progenitor of Python. May you live long and prosper. :slight_smile:

I hope this post is helpful, and offends nobody. This is my first post on your lovely forum. I’d like to take a fresh attempt at speaking to the OP.

(BTW: @vstinner, I read your .pdf, and liked it. It was touching, in fact. Thanks for sharing. The internet can be such a harsh place at times, when people come online looking for somewhere, someone to vent their ill will on. People in the limelight always run the risk of getting “hated on” if they provide any little excuse that could be nitpicked.)

Just like all of you, I too would like to see a future where Python grows all the stronger. I think the most profitable efforts in outreach will be connecting with the kids. I think that there are lots of young, intelligent geeks (evidenced by good or excellent grades in school subjects like math) in a country like, say, India, who would love to learn Python (and one day rise through the ranks to be your future core developers) if only they could get their hands on a Raspberry Pi or such like. Alas, I wasted huge amounts of valuable geek youth playing senseless video games on my Coleco Vision (which was all my family could barely afford at the time, in the way of some geek hardware).

It’s the kids who have the most available brain plasticity to learn new, complex, things, such as Python, not so much older adults (I’m sheerly speaking from a biological perspective, here). Once you establish them at a younger age, that’ll probably be the programming language they “bond” with, longer term.

It’s just like how McDonalds sets up playgrounds in their restaurants. They want to forge lifelong relationships with customers when they are still kids. Cheap computers like the Raspberry Pi are like that same playground. Please think a little more sociologically and demographically, and a little less like geeks, if you want to best secure your future.

Here’s what I mean by that. Why did I suggest India? Well, one demographic attribute of being a former British colony is that there are many English speakers there, making it easier to connect with them (this is an English forum, after all). They also have the advantage of large numbers, which is another demographic attribute which could benefit you all. Yes, sheer numbers sometimes goes a long way to solving many problems.

A little backstory. Although I’m not much of a coder, I still can still highly appreciate Python none the less.

I’m @nas cousin, and @nas was the one who first established me in Python as my favorite programming language (having learnt 13 programming languages in University, and Python blew them all away). Thanks, @nas. @nas was indeed like a mentor to me in many things of a geek nature. He introduced me to Linux as well. We attended the same University (back in about 1998ish), and we were even in a Computational Science course together “Advanced Operating Systems” (it was about Unix). I have a B. Sc. in Computational Science, as well as 5 years experience as a Linux Sysadmin for medium and large software corporations. Yes, the mentorship from @nas had a big impact on me indeed.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It feels like your topic is not quite the topic being discussed here (specific for core Python development). So perhaps it needs to be moved to it’s own topic.

I wouldn’t have said anything if this topic wasn’t filed under “users”.

I split this into a separate topic as it had a broader scope about Python compared to Python core dev growth as the topic it was first posted under.