Handling of Pre-Releases when backtracking?

Having some sort of per-project “allow prereleases” option (--allow-pre-for=numpy?) would be a perfectly reasonable thing to offer, and well within the spitit of what even PEP 440 says (i.e., it’s not a “versioning v2” type of change). I think such an option would address these 3 cases.

I can (and probably should) go and look this up myself, but I thought all resolvelib cared about was “does this version satisfy this specifier?” Can you point me at where anything deeper is needed? You’ve worked on resolvelib a lot more recently than I have, so my knowledge could be out of date, but I thought the API was so highly abstracted that pretty much any concept of versions satisfying requirements was sufficient.

Pre-releases are a PITA (as we’re seeing here) because “what matches” is context-dependent in a nasty way. If ease of implementation is the criterion, that context dependency a flaw in the spec - although I’m hesitant about prioritising ease of implementation over user friendliness[1]. This can certainly be solved in a versioning v2.

Extras are an utter abomination, and the way they need to be bolted onto the resolver machinery is a horrific bodge that has no right to exist[2]. That’s a problem with the way the semantics of extras is defined, though, and unrelated to versioning. If I had my way, I’d remove the whole concept of extras - unfortunately they do solve real-world problems and they are very widely used, so even if we replaced them with something better designed, the transition issues would be insurmountable. So we’re stuck with them, unfortunately.

1. Luckily, I also think that the current spec isn’t particularly user-friendly in this regard :slightly_smiling_face: ↩︎

2. apologies if anyone feels I sugar-coated this a bit too much :wink: ↩︎

3 Likes