Help packaging optional application features, using extras?

I appreciate the responses, it’s all pretty much as I expected but there’s some useful points that have been made.

My current thoughts can be summarised in response to following:

I understand your perspective, but I think what I was really hoping for and referring to when I said “not properly supported” is having finer-grained control over what gets packaged/installed from within a single project.

This was actually the reason I originally set things up as namespace packages - my intention was for all code to be installed under the ‘minegauler’ namespace, but for the packages within that namespace to have clear separation such that they could be installed separately (with ‘app’ being the core/default, and other subpackages being ‘extras’).

My hope was that I could control subsets of the code, data and entrypoints that would be installed. I originally came up with two possible approaches: using extras, or using separate package names. Unfortunately it seems this is not supported by extras (which only control which dependencies are installed), and to have separate package names I’d need multiple pyproject.toml or setup.py files (either in some kind of non-standard monorepo setup or across separate repos).

Therefore I still feel the level of control I’m looking for isn’t properly supported within a single project. Does that sound fair?

Point-replies below…

That’s a reasonable suggestion, although the error message would only make sense in a pip environment (i.e. not in a PyInstaller package), but that’s probably not a concern in practice. I guess what I was really hoping for was a clean way to exclude all of the code, data and the entrypoint related to the bot.

I did have another idea: create a skeleton python project named ‘minegauler-bot’ that has a hard dependency on the main ‘minegauler’ project, but the entrypoint is defined in the ‘minegauler-bot’ package. Then minegauler[bot] would simply depend on minegauler-bot as an extras_require.

I mean moving to pyproject.toml instead of setup.py, although I’m expecting to continue using setuptools unless there’s something that seems a better fit.

I appreciate the input on my current packaging setup, I actually did some testing of the new setuptools support for PEP 621 recently (see Help testing experimental features in setuptools and my branch).

I was briefly, but added an __init__.py in when I started hitting problems… What you see in my setup.py is actually an effort to only package some of the subpackages, but maybe I should just package it all and support the other subpackages via other ‘dev extras’. This comes back to my desire for extras to also control the project code that’s packaged as well as managing dependencies…

Yeah, I had read this discussion and realised it would serve as a possible solution to what I was describing, sorry I probably should have dug it out and linked it.

Yeah, I have read that and decided against the src layout - personally I prefer to avoid using editable installs, which I believe become somewhat required (at least unless all imports are relative)?.

This resonates with me, since this project does attempt to maintain a requirements-dev.txt and have it be in sync with requirements.txt. I might consider switching to using extras for specifying these deps, although my current dev workflow doesn’t involve pip installing my own project (I’m assuming people who use a ‘test’ or ‘dev’ extras in development would use editable installs?).

I guess this is the main kind of thing I was hoping there was a better answer to :frowning:

My case is the standard case, apologies for the confusing wording :slight_smile: My point was that it wouldn’t be possible to simply move out the code for minegauler[bot] into a new minegauler-bot package while keeping the minegauler[bot] extra, because the two projects would then depend on each other.

Sure, I’m totally on board with modularity. However, using separate projects feels like huge overkill in this case - I’m able to maintain pretty good discipline with modularity within the project, and don’t want to have to worry about interdependencies and versioning between what are really just internal parts of the project!

I certainly don’t plan to go overboard with any kind of roll-my-own solution - I was thinking more along the lines of having multiple pyproject.toml files (perhaps generated using a script) to allow me to push different parts of the codebase as different packages from within what’s otherwise a normal single-project layout. I’d definitely prefer to avoid any kind of hacky solution like this though, hence asking for input!

1 Like