How to make sure we have plenty of council nominees and what should their qualifications be?

I think that is an important aspect which should be clarified because it changes the criteria we’ve been using to elect core developers through a slow, gradual mentorship in order to build mutual trust.

I am not sure if this was the actual intent of the PEP, but perhaps the people involved in its writing could clarify. It appears to me that the fundamental idea here is to include a figure which is deliberately more detached from the technical aspect which characterized the people involved in the development of the language so far, and steer towards a figure which looks more like a manager than a developer. But how is a manager supposed to judge or steer direction over a technical PEP or syntax changes?

I think part of the problem is that since the mandate was originally originally intended for core developers, that assumes that such a technical aspect is implicit and taken for granted. But if we apply the same criteria to a fundamentally different kind of figure then it must be clear what to expect from such a figure exactly, but the PEP doesn’t say.

Frankly, I don’t think this is what most people expected when they voted for this PEP, regardless of whether they understood it included external candidates (and I still think most of them didn’t).

It appears back in October there were 10 potential nominees. Not sure if that’s still the case but it looks like a big number to me compared to the possible core-dev candidates which we’ll be able to collect and which I suspect will be quite a minority by comparison.