Howto engage Python contributors in the long term?

I am a bit familiar with this topic and I can say this is a field I would treat with caution. And the reason for that is because you’re entering a political territory which has been subject to abuse by a minority of external (often anonymous) contributors (including python). I skimmed through some of the links you mentioned. This is one I was familiar with:

Transphobic maintainer should be removed from project · Issue #941 · opal/opal · GitHub

The author of that ticket is well known. She is the author of the Contributor Covenant CoC which has been (ab)used in order to try to kick developers out of open source projects on account of what they write on their Twitter profile as the CoC explicitly allows for that:

This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces when an individual is representing the project or its community.

The same thing happened to Linux, which also adopted a variant of the Contributor Covenant CoC (here’s the diff and a long, heated discussion), and I’m pointing this out because in another thread you mentioned the Linux Code of Conflict as an example of aggressive behaviors.

So I would not take those 2 cases as an example of “positive diversity”. I could provide links about other open source projects which have been subject to similar attacks (almost always portrayed via CoCs and a distorted concept of “diversity”), but I don’t want to go too OT here. Both cases (Opalgate and Linux CoC) are summarized here.

I am at Brno (Czech Republic) for Devconf.CZ where I just gave a talk:

I’m not far from there. Wasn’t aware of the conference. Depending on your schedule we could meet in person. :wink:

2 Likes