Inclusive communications expectations in Python spaces

Forgive me for pushing back on that a bit: the idea that the Python old-timers are troglodyte reprobates is counterfactual.

Where was the SC when the first woman was breaking into the Python world? The first Jew? The first American? The first Muslim? The first Russian? The first black? The first openly gay? And so on. I was there. They were heartily welcomed by all. I’ll only name one, because he is - alas - dead, so can’t be embarrassed, harassed, or trolled. Aahz Maruch. That was the name he went by. He was born into a Jewish family. Short, pudgy, physically challenged (most obviously severe hearing loss), not conventionally “attractive”, polyamorous, and had a male partner so long as I knew him. He may have been bisexual - never asked and don’t recall him saying, but I have a vague recollection of that he was. Nobody cared about any of that.

In those days, there was really no “pecking order”. Guido was at the top. That was it. There was far more work to do than people to do it. Slots were filled by people stepping up and grabbing what struck their fancy. Then they sunk or (mostly) swum. Aahz was one of the first to step up to claim the “intro to Python” book slot:

That was co-authored with his primary life partner.

Aaha was also key to successful community management at the start, thanks to extensive experience in managing SciFi fandom events, He wasn’t just welcomed, he was celebrated.

Nobody talked about demographic markers because they didn’t matter to anyone. We were indeed “collegial” because of our shared passion for Python. It wasn’t enforced, patrolled, or strained. In a way, it was, e.g., a blessing that we had no money to pass out for conferences - nobody could feel excluded because there was nothing to exclude them from :wink:. Yes, that’s a “wink” emoticon. I don’t buy that its meaning is some kind of secret cultural dog whistle. Granted that some cases can be far subtler, though. I’ll keep an eye out for that.

The PSF has apparently grown too large for genuine universal collegiality, or even frank rational discussion. I lament that, but I’d encourage all technically inclined to find a small, struggling project to engage with. I don’t particularly enjoy being dumped on for every perceived fault of the Python community, but it’s a small price to pay for the joy of seeing people still using code I labored on 30+ years ago :smile:.

But, to be fair, “survivorship bias” is at work there. All the ambitious start-up companies I worked for failed. Python is the one project that happened to survive - and, indeed, thrive. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it.

26 Likes