Information for new users

Thanks for the links, it seems one can be a level 4 user only by manual promotion, so for a small forum such as this I’m not really sure of the benefits of using the level versus just using the moderator role.

A

My biggest concern is actually the code formatting rather than the typographic quotes, the former being a lot quicker to fix but can drastically affect the readability and semantics of the code users post. I would need to drop into an editor/IDE to actually run the code anyway, where the quote chars matter, so its quick to find/replace them there if needed.

Yeah, sorry—I was one of the people who brought that up to begin with, though technically even Carol’s post falls under the title “Information for New Users”.

I dub it @steven.daprano Mode :laughing:

That’s a great find, thanks. It does mean no syntax highlighting (which can make errors easier to spot) and one-click copyability, though it still works in a pinch for extreme cases like that.

That’s TL3. IIRC its “New user”, “Basic user”, “Member”, “Regular”, “Leader”

It adds a bunch of extra permissions like deleting threads, modifying other users’ roles, banning people, etc. that aren’t all that necessary or appropriate for users like us, beyond just the much more useful for this TL4 ones (editing, better flagging, no edit limit, splitting/merging duplicate or unrelated questions by the same user, adding a note to posts, etc). You could also make them a category moderator in Users/Python Help, though I’m not sure if that’s really better for this.

Update: This function was apparently created to add a Raw button the the edit history. Right now, you can only access this button if the post has been edited (not likely with a brand new user) and the orange pencil shows because there’s a history to display.

Edit History Header from meta.discourse.com. Click on any post’s edit history link to view the real thing.

expertcoder14 May 13, '21   [ ]HTML [ ][ ]HTMLRaw

By fungi via Discussions on Python.org at 25Jun2022 11:58:

I’m not Steven, but I am one of those luddites who interacts
entirely in “mailing list mode.” What I’ve observed is that code
pasted straight into the post without any preformatting indicators
primarily seems to lose its indentation, though also some of its
line breaks (subsequent lines getting flowed into the previous
because they’re treated as part of the same “paragraph”).

The email side sends multipart/alternative with tex/plain and
text/html parts. The text/plain seems to be the source MarkDown, so
the indentation is apparent. If your mailer’s viewing the HTML it will
be rendering stuff, and the indentation will vanish as you observe.

Steven and I are using mutt (a mail reader which runs in a terminal) and
generally see the text/plain version by default.

It’s worth noting that even inline preformatting is suboptimal for
people used to exchanging complex code samples over mailing lists,
since proper E-mail can include them as MIME attachments and even
declare specific content types and file names, so that the examples
can be saved and run directly rather than requiring ham-fisted cut
and paste operations which may pick up extra whitespace or fight
with autoindenting in editors.

Aye, though the python-list and friends tend to discard “non plain
text” attachments :slight_smile:

Note that my experiences may be further colored because I not only
rely on Discourse’s “mailing list mode,” but do so with a plaintext
console-based MUA rather than some fancy graphical HTML-rendering
client. I see that the messages I receive are multipart/alternative
including both a text/plain and text/html version, so wouldn’t be
surprised if people using HTML-based mail clients see an entirely
different representation that I do.

Ah, so my comments above are superfluous.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

Yes, I’m also relying on mutt and have it set up to prioritize
text/plain versions in multipart messages, though I do have my
.mailcap set up to pipe text/html through a console-based browser
for cases where there is no text/plain. It’s possible the messages I
saw with pasted code missing indentation or even line breaks was
simply pasted that way by its authors, since so many already
struggle to figure out how to copy and paste text at all, instead
resorting to attaching screen captures or, worse, snapshotting their
screens with cellphones.

This thread seems to have died, but in case the points being made here (which are many, and diverge to some extent from the topic) are under consideration, I’d like to add to this a ‘Code of Conduct’ to which members can be pointed, should they act in a way that is disrespectful to others.

I understand that this is somewhat subjective, but right now it just seems to be a free-for-all, to behave in whatever manner one chooses. I’m not going to name names, as that would, in and of itself, be disrespectful. The temporary banning of one new member was good to see, as he deserved it and from that I do know that the actions of members is being monitored, which is no bad thing, but a posted ‘Code of Conduct’ would be, at the very least, a point of reference.

I mentioned earlier that the FAQs go straight to the Code Of Conduct instead of actual FAQs.

I’ve re-read this entire thread, and I read many other threads (including many I don’t reply to) and I have no idea what you are refering to.

More or less disrespectful than dropping dire hints that other people are behaving badly in a free-for-all, leaving others to wonder if you are refering to them? half a wink

By the way, I just found that there is a pinned tweet that shows how to format code correctly. Great!

Now I just have to try to remember it… wink

It would be great if Łukasz @ambv updated the post as it contains non-functional language name (as notified below). Also many users have great difficulties with typing the backticks correctly. I think the “Preformatted text” </> button should be mentioned too (or maybe in the first place).

And I still think we should have the Unformatted Code Detector component installed here:

Should we notify the administrators?

1 Like

Cool; well that’s two votes, least ways.

No, I’m not casting aspersions at any regular members here; sorry if it came across that I am.

Unformatted Code Detector installed. Thanks for the tip!

6 Likes

Oh, I got some serious Clippy flashbacks now… It looks like you are writing a Python app…

3 Likes

I was not aware this existed, I just installed it on discourse.bokeh.org you have truly made my day!

1 Like

Thanks for installing!

Now we just need something to discourage screenshots of text :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Seems like something that would be good to throw a CNN at—the #users category would provide a more than ample training set for a pre-trained model :laughing:

In all seriousness, in the great majority of cases if a <=TL1 user is posting an image in Python Help, it is a screenshot of code, so a simple bot could perhaps just warn every time…

2 Likes

Sorry to bother you:

Having seen a number of new posts that include unformatted code, I did a simple test myself, just to see if this detector is working. My results show me that it is not working.

I was able to post this:

for i in range(10):
print(i)

… without triggering any detection warning.

In the help topic I tested that the two lines of code were not enough for the detection.

@rob42 How did you do that the link shows only below your post, not in the body? Was it quotation from the post?

I used the chain symbol (you see at the bottom, next to the like symbol?) and did a C&P of that link.

Rob,

regarding the code detection - did not you check the “do not show this message again” in the past?

BTW I am guessing that the detection can be in JavaScript on the client-side but currently I am not willing to plunge into the web page code :slight_smile:

No. I’ve never seen said message.

As I’m unsure how the detection works, I’d only be guessing as to why it seems to work for some users, but not for others. That said, the only person to respond was your good self; nobody else seems to care one way or the other.

If more members had taken a little time to post a test, maybe we could have come up with a reason and offered some useful feedback, and maybe not, but there it is.