Is it too late to renumber PEP 11?

Lately, whenever I see “PEP-11” I briefly read it as “PDP-11.” I guess I’m just getting old… :frowning:

8 Likes

:joy: i worked for DEC and my first job was fixing RSX-11 network bugs on a PDP 11-70.

1 Like

Technically, it’s spelled PEP 11 (no dash, just like RFCs, etc), which might help a bit…

It’s worse for me. When I see “pip”, I think of the CP/M peripheral interchange program which is how you would copy files.

It’s also problematic thanks to some pipeline in Australia proposed under some “pep-11” name that search engines pick up.

I think the only way to rename it is to supersede it w/ a new PEP.

I 'd assumed this wasn’t a serious request, but just in case it is, I’m not sure there’s precedent for superseding a PEP with a substantially unchanged version just for aesthetic reasons. And more pragmatically, it seems likely to cause more confusion than it would save, given people there would be two PEPs on an key topic, one updated and one not—we could use the banner to redirect people, but it still seems to be rather engineered given the practical impact of the problem.

2 Likes

Of course it was a joke. Sorry for posting with the wrong kind of smiley. :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry; I’d assumed so too, until I Brett’s post talking about the practicalities of it, haha :slight_smile:

One way for Brett to not be the owner of PEP-11 is for Brett to change his name. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

For me (probably based on my location and language), the first 15 search results on Qwant and Google are about PEP 11, a French child welfare service charity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can he do that without needing a PEP? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We can solve all this by renaming them Python Development Proposals.

9 Likes

I think Python Improvement Proposals would be clearer and avoid this confusion.

8 Likes

I wasn’t that serious, but I assumed someone would be lurking here wondering what the mechanics might look like.

The search issue is real, though: any time I don’t get my bang search support from Kagi (which DuckDuckGo has) for !pep 11 because I accidentally use another search engine I get frustrated.

Personally, I make use of pepotron, a handy little tool that lets you type “pep 11” at the shell and have it open in a browser. It’s especially useful for getting the release dates for an upcoming version - “pep 3.13” will pull up the schedule for Python 3.13, which is PEP 719.

3 Likes

Due thanks to @hugovk and our “PEP API” he helped create for that!

3 Likes

I used a PDP-8 for a while. Do you think there’s any chance … ?

2 Likes

I worked on PDPs in process control and moved onto VAX VMS for many years. Can anyone remember a concept called “backwards compatibility”. We wrote tight applications that were in service literally for decades. If our old software didn’t work on a new release, DEC fixed the OS. If they changed the functionality, they created a new function call. So old stuff worked and worked and worked. Today they bring out a new library and everything has to be retested and often rewritten. Madness. We even ran VAX VMS on a emulation of the VAX hardware on a low cost PC. Chopped of the TCP/IP stack and ran DecNet. Asked a US ethical hack team to check it out and then rolled it out as a fully licenced VAX VMS replacement when DEC stopped building VAX’s.