Is there a big reason why PR authors can not request/unrequest PR review?

So, AFAIK, the bot will automatically request review from core developers on a PR in which the devs in question are code owners. This is good actually.

Can we have permissions for PR authors being able to remove and request review from a core developer?

My reason is, sometimes you mess up with git (I have before :frowning: ) . The bot pings core devs you dint intend and I am limited as I cant unrequest review from them. I have to private ping a core dev to kindly unrequest review from the affected core developer(s).

Or you know someone else that could best review the PR. It maybe expertise or other ping reasons If you are mentored. I have noticed that core devs that are not code owners in some cases are also knowledgeable about the area in question.

I would love to hear more about the risks of giving PR authors rights to request/unrequest review.

If we cant do for normal PR authors, can we give triagers this right may be?. Again, I want to hear the reasoning against this.

GitHub doesn’t give us specific permissions to tweak to control who can change reviewers on a PR. So are you asking for bot support to somehow let PR authors to control the reviewer list?

You can always @ mention them in a comment to get their attention.

The potential problem is a PR author thinking they know who to ask and then asking a bunch of the wrong people (we already have this issue when people @ mention every core dev they have ever spoken to whether they actually have any relevance to the PR or not).

There’s also the risk of a PR author explicitly reviewing a core dev who they know doesn’t approve of the change in order to try to sneak it in.

If you’re talking about Bedevere do note that I wrote that “damn bot” and put a lot of time and effort into improving our development workflow. And if it’s GitHub you’re referring to then there’s still someone out there who put time and effort into making it work.

I realize you may have been frustrated when you wrote this, but in the future I would please ask that you don’t disparage people’s work like this as it doesn’t really help anyone or the situation.

I apologize for using the wrong word. I did not intend to not appreciate your work. Am sorry it came out that way and have used this" damn" phrase casually . I hope you understand. The bot is doing what it is actually supposed to do.

My major reason for this post is find out why and how a normal PR author can unrequest/request review .

Am not very knowledgable about github but If a bot can help us manage the reviewer list, then okay.

Thanks for the apology. As I said I suspected it was said in frustration so I assumed there wasn’t any intended malice.

That’s pretty much the only way to make this work. This might become a bit easier to have people do it since the new triager role can change the reviewer list. But as I said it’s not obvious to me that giving that power to PR authors will actually lead to a better review request experience for everyone involved.

1 Like

That’s pretty much the only way to make this work. This might become a bit easier to have people do it since the new triager role can change the reviewer list. But as I said it’s not obvious to me that giving that power to PR authors will actually lead to a better review request experience for everyone involved.

If triagers can, then it will help. Thinking about the risks, I agree PR authors can misuse this or use it wrongly.

1 Like

Assuming there are enough active triagers and the review list changes are performed responsibly, I don’t think the PR authors will also need it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of new contributors were not aware of the experts index, so they likely wouldn’t know who to add as a reviewer. I was not aware of it before I opened my first PR.