Is there a function which allows me to filter entire sentences from datafiles

Hi,

Me and my friend are struggling to filter entire lists of strings from out datafile. For instance in the following data we would like to filter all strings between the words “full_text” and “truncated”. Is there any way for us to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

{“created_at”: “Wed Nov 02 14:00:13 +0000 2022”, “id”: 1587806788648411139, “id_str”: “1587806788648411139”, “full_text”: “\u201cWhat does #LulaDaSilva\u2019s victory mean for climate policy in #Brazil?\u201d by @ContextClimate \nhttps://twitter.com/i/events/1587744408467914752 #ClimatePolicy”, “truncated”: false, “display_text_range”: [0, 129], “entities”: {“hashtags”: [{“text”: “LulaDaSilva”, “indices”: [11, 23]}, {“text”: “Brazil”, “indices”: [61, 68]}, {“text”: “ClimatePolicy”, “indices”: [115, 129]}], “symbols”: , “user_mentions”: [{“screen_name”: “ContextClimate”, “name”: “Context Climate”, “id”: 89711639, “id_str”: “89711639”, “indices”: [74, 89]}], “urls”: [{, “expanded_url”: "“display_url”: “indices”: [91, 114]}]}, “metadata”: {“iso_language_code”: “en”, “result_type”: “recent”}, “source”: “<a href=" rel="nofollow">Twitter for iPad”, “in_reply_to_status_id”: null, “in_reply_to_status_id_str”: null, “in_reply_to_user_id”: null, “in_reply_to_user_id_str”: null, “in_reply_to_screen_name”: null, “user”: {“id”: 50791051, “id_str”: “50791051”, “name”: “Janice Dash”, “screen_name”: “Trazlersgal”, “location”: “iPhone: 0.000000,0.000000”, “description”: “\u2764You got to dance like nobody is watching, Dream like you will live forever, Live like you are going to die tomorrow and Love like its never going to hurt.\u2764”, “url”: “”, “entities”: {“url”: {“urls”: [{“url”: “”, “expanded_url”: , “display_url”: “page.is/janice-dash”, “indices”: [0, 23]}]}, “description”: {“urls”: }}, “protected”: false, “followers_count”: 11394, “friends_count”: 7815, “listed_count”: 809, “created_at”: “Thu Jun 25 22:23:33 +0000 2009”, “favourites_count”: 22273, “utc_offset”: null, “time_zone”: null, “geo_enabled”: true, “verified”: false, “statuses_count”: 260386, “lang”: null, “contributors_enabled”: false, “is_translator”: false, “is_translation_enabled”: false, “profile_background_color”: “7F0247”, “profile_background_image_url”: “”, “profile_background_image_url_https”: ", “profile_background_tile”: true, “profile_image_url”: , “profile_image_url_https”: “”, “profile_link_color”: “7F0247”, “profile_sidebar_border_color”: “FFABDC”, “profile_sidebar_fill_color”: “FFABDC”, “profile_text_color”: “000000”, “profile_use_background_image”: true, “has_extended_profile”: true, “default_profile”: false, “default_profile_image”: false, “following”: false, “follow_request_sent”: false, “notifications”: false, “translator_type”: “none”, “withheld_in_countries”: }, “geo”: null, “coordinates”: null, “place”: null, “contributors”: null, “is_quote_status”: false, “retweet_count”: 0, “favorite_count”: 0, “favorited”: false, “retweeted”: false, “possibly_sensitive”: false, “lang”: “en”}

This is JSON data. Just use the json library to manipulate it.

import json

with open("data.json", "r") as f:
    data = json.load(f)

data["fulltext"] = ""

with open("data_modified.json", "w") as f:
    json.dump(data, f)

Edit: Point of clarification: When you say that you want to filter all strings between “fulltext” and “truncated”, do you mean that you want only those strings or everything but those strings? The above script does the latter.

I would want only those strings in between “full_text” and “truncated”

import json

with open("data.json", "r") as f:
    data = json.load(f)

print(data["full_text"])

There you go. That should be everything between “full_text” and “truncated”. It’s only a single string, from what I can tell.

Thats great! Thanks!