Local community category?

Hello all!
I wonder if it would be possible to have a subcategory for a local community. I’m currently living in The Netherlands and we are trying to build a Python Community here.
As we are new and small (but we are fixing it! ) I think it would be a great idea to try to use Discourse. (I’m from Argentina and there we are still figuring out if we want to move out from mailman)

What do you think?

Thanks!

So, would you have 1 category for each local community, or 1 category and just have threads for local communities? How would it be organized?

I like the idea of being able to find locals who are interested in Python Dev stuffs

I think the best would be to have something like a general subcategory and under it each local community. Something like:

Local Comunities:

• Argentina
  • Brasil
  • Netherlands

Each local community should have a local moderators/responsible persons.

having a category per community it would be possible to have announcements, threads per events, etc.

I think it’s important not only to find locals. But also to provide a (public) platform to discuss and organize.

Thanks!

1 Like

@willingc @psf-staff WDYT?

Hi Gilga, It sounds like something reasonable. We have something similar in the PyLadies Slack. Is this Discourse place the best way to do it? I’m not sure. Perhaps send a message to the PSF Board with your thoughts of why a forum for regional communities would be helpful. Also there may be things that are one their radar that I don’t have visibility on.

I think is a great Idea. Much better than deploying a dedicated discourse server for each country. BTW, I’m from Colombia. :sunglasses: :+1: