Make itertools.product object support the Sequence interface

The objects produced by itertools.product() are iterable but do not implement many other Collections methods. However, since the iterables that the product is run over are stored as tuples in self.pools it is relatively straightforward to determine in advance the length of this iterable. Similarly the nth item in this iterable can be efficiently determined without having to pass through the first n terms and a tuple is contained in this sequence if and only if each of it’s terms is contained in the iterables that this product is run over. For example:

class ProductObject:
    # Note self.pools is a list of tuples.
    def __len__(self):
        return math.prod([len(pool) for pool in self.pools])
    def __contains__(self, item):
        # We should also check that item is a tuple of length len(self.pools)
        return all(x in pool for x, pool in zip(item, self.pools))
    def __getitem__(self, index):
        result = []
        for i in range(len(self.pools)):
            size = math.prod([len(pool) for pool in pools[i+1:]])
            result.append(self.pools[i][index // size])
            index -= size * (index // size)
        return tuple(result)

This would allow the following to be done:

>>> X = product(range(5), 'abc')
>>> len(X)
>>> X[5]
(1, 'c')
>>> (7, 'x') in X
False

Of course this should be implemented at the C level for performance, but by doing this and adding:

• __contains__
  • __len__
  • __getindex__

this would make itertools.product objects instances of collections.abc.Sequence.

Note, it is also relatively straightforward to implement __reversed__ so that we can also do:

>>> reversed(X)[1] == X[-2]
True

I personally agree but people have been asking for this for many years so it’s not happening any time soon.

See Issue 24849: Add __len__ to map, everything in itertools - Python tracker

Thank you for letting me know about Issue 24849. I think I agree with a lot of the statements raised in that discussion, in particular:

No, you may not iterate the iterator in order to compute the len, because then the iterator would be exhausted.

However while this is definitely a problem for the general case of trying to add a __len__ method to all of the itertools functions, I think that this is not a problem for this specific case of itertools.product since it must ensure that its iterables are reentrant and it does this by converting them to tuples. So there may be some merit in considering implementing these methods for just the “combinatorial” itertools functions (e.g. not itertools.takewhile).