Move typing-sig to Discourse?

Try asking ee@python.org what’s up. Cc me.

1 Like

@admins, does one of you have enough permissions to create a “Typing” top-level category at https://discuss.python.org/ ?

I’m gathering folks who can perform the steps to migrate the typing-sig mailing list to Discourse.

1 Like

Sure, I can do that for you.

4 Likes

Wonderful. Then @ambv I formally request that a “Typing” top-level category be created.

I have just notified the typing-sig mailing list that they should start redirecting conversations to the new category.

I will continue to follow up with the postmaster RE changing the former typing-sig mailing list to read-only, no longer accepting new posts.

3 Likes

The postmaster is ready to go to make the original typing-sig list read-only.

@ambv , a friendly ping to create a top-level “Typing” category here in discuss.python.org when you get the chance.

3 Likes

I created the category at Typing - Discussions on Python.org .

9 Likes

Thanks @brettcannon !

I’ll follow up with the postmaster in a day or two.

PEP 1 needs updating in a couple of places to recommend the new category instead of Typing-SIG, and also the PEPs repo contributing guidelines.

Would someone like to put together a PR?

2 Likes

Could the category colour be changed? The current dark teal colour looks very similar to the green of the Ideas category, especially when next to each other.

Yes, but there’s a limited number of colours left, so you may not get much of an improvement overall.

And it would look similar to something else if we changed it based on the various colours used for all categories (see the Categories list). And not everyone follows the same categories list, so fixing this for some people won’t improve things for others. So someone is going to be disappointed with the colour change no matter what.

2 Likes

Update: Still waiting on the postmaster to archive the original typing-sig mailing list - by removing the ability to post to it. Once that’s done the migration should be complete.

Looks like these updates have now been applied.

4 Likes

You could turn everyone’s moderation bit on and simply ignore the moderation requests. You could also forcibly unsubscribe everyone and block new sign-ups.

The original typing-sig mailing list is now archived.

Specifically:

• The list description now has a message redirecting to the new Typing category.
  • Posts to the lists by both members and non-members will be silently discarded. This behavior is also mentioned in the list description.

The migration is complete :tada:

14 Likes

David, thank you for having the persistence and putting in the effort to get this completed.

8 Likes