Pathlib context (symlinks, junctions, case folding)

Hello all,

this is an idea that’s been rattling around my head for a few weeks on and off, and I freely admit I’m putting it here to get it out of my head, rather than seriously thinking this is a good idea.

The idea is to add context to pathlib objects, things like follow_symlink, follow_junction, maybe fold_case and all the other weird filesystem things that I don’t even know about.

p = pathlib.Path("/one/two/three", follow_symlinks=True)

from this point onwards, operations on p will gain the context of follow_symlinks=True, it would not have to be added to higher level operations, and such context could be passed through APIs that take Path objects.

r = p / "four"

would gain the context of follow_symlinks=True, any low level operation that changes based on the context could check it and do so.

The hope is we could stop adding follow_symlink/junction flags everywhere, still have the functionality when required, and make such options opaque to APIs that just want to think about paths.

thank you for your time,

5 Likes

It’s an interesting idea, and if you wanted to prototype it, I think you could:

• Subclass pathlib.Path
  • Add a custom __init__() method to accept your new keyword arguments, and store them as instance variables
  • Add a custom with_segments() method that reads the instance variables and feeds them to new paths as keyword arguments. This propagates settings when you generate new paths via path.parent, path.iterdir() etc.
  • Add versions of stat() etc that read from the instance variables for defaults

This requires Python 3.12 for subclassing Path and the with_segments() method.

1 Like

Okey Dokey, I’ll give it a stab, nothing will be done quickly however :slight_smile:

It’s lovely to see the work to make Path extensible available.