PEP 582 - Python local packages directory

See PEP 704 - Require virtual environments by default for package installers where that idea has been brought up.

If the double-click effectively ran pipx run then I think you could get this with Allow running scripts with dependencies using pipx · Issue #913 · pypa/pipx · GitHub .

Totally off-topic, but if anyone is aware of any standard or anything around environment variable definition files like .env, please let me know! It’s a constant headache for me at work that there isn’t one, especially when everyone seems to assume they are formatted for the OS you’re running which is not necessarily the case (i.e. Steve’s comment when someone wrote a .env file for bash; not every shell uses : as a path separator).

I made this recommendation over in the PEP 704 thread, so I’m +1 at least on the standardized naming/location scheme for where to look for virtual environments when one isn’t explicitly detected via $VIRTUALENV. As for python (but not python3 or python3.11) garnering the smarts to automatically use an environment, I’m probably +0.