PEP 621: round 3

That is contrary to what most people say here: Purpose of an sdist Question: does pip treat an sdist as something that is installed directly or does it build a wheel from it first? It has been a while since I looked at the code.
[/quote]

To reply to your points:

1. That’s a separate issue. TOML has been used in packaging since PEP 518, so there’s nothing new here.
  2. The rules don’t change. Removing a field from dynamic is how you make it static. I don’t understand what you think is implicit here?
  3. I don’t really understand “post-source” vs “pre-wheel”. As far as I am concerned, sdists are built artifacts (created by backends from source trees) that are used to build wheels. The standards offer no way to install a sdist directly, so the only standards-compliant way of installing from a sdist is via a wheel. Pip does have legacy code that uses setuptools-specific mechanisms to install sdists directly, but (a) that’s backend-specific for setuptools, and (b) we are phasing that out.

That’s a fair comment - this is a new process. But I’m not sure it’s as big an issue as you’re suggesting. I’m happy to debate the implications, but I don’t see this as an immediate showstopper.

If the consensus is that the changes @brettcannon has made are unacceptable, and we go back to the previous version, then yes, the PEP will get rejected. But I don’t think we have consensus yet.

1 Like