PEP 658: Static Distribution Metadata in the Simple Repository API

It’s been more than two weeks since the previous discussion. If there’s no more outstanding issues, may I ask for a pronouncement from the PEP delegate @dstufft?

2 Likes

I’ll review the discussion and re-read the PEP and get a pronouncement this weekend.

2 Likes

Friendly ping

Any update on this?

2 Likes

Any update on this? This PEP if implemented would be very helpful for Pyodide. Pyodide has to reinstall wheels much more often than native environments and also has more constraints on what versions of packages it can support (primarily due to dependencies on C extensions that require extra porting work) so it is important that we can do reasonably efficient dependency resolution. But because pypi doesn’t put CORS headers on range requests (Allow cross origin range requests · Issue #11 · pypa/conveyor · GitHub) we don’t even have the LazyWheel option available to us.

3 Likes

Friendly ping @dstufft

Sorry, this slipped off my radar, will get it looked at by EOW.

4 Likes

I’m happy to accept this PEP! Congratulations :slight_smile:

I will mention there’s one bit of wording that you might want to clean up. It doesn’t really affect the contents of the PEP, but the Abstract still references data-dist-info-metadata as the pointer for the location of the metadata file. The rest of the PEP has it correct, so this is just missed reference that should ideally be cleaned up. But either way, the PEP looks good to me.

10 Likes

:tada:

I’ve filed PEP 658: Mark as Accepted by pradyunsg · Pull Request #2049 · python/peps · GitHub to mark this PEP as accepted. ^>^

3 Likes