PEP 703: Making the Global Interpreter Lock Optional (3.12 updates)

As a Rust framework maintainer for PyO3, I’ve had multiple feature requests from users to have multithreaded integration with Python. I’m keen to see Python’s multi-core story progress and have spent a fair deal of time thinking about how PyO3 can support per-interpreter GIL and nogil.

PyO3 supports neither multi-core solution yet, both due to their prerelease nature and a need to design appropriate safe abstractions for framework users to build multi-core extension modules correctly. I hope that PyO3 will offer an ergonomic way for extension authors to work with a multi-core Python.

My current opinion is that nogil is an easier match to Rust’s concurrency story. Rust is also able to help mitigate some categories of free-threading concerns that Eric alludes to above.

With nogil, the Rust integration seems straightforward. Multithreaded Rust programs can have multiple threads attached to the Python interpreter, and Rust’s concurrency primitives can allow these threads to interact safely to share Python and Rust state.

An example of this is asynchronous Rust code. Frequently this uses multithreaded event loops where tasks can move between worker threads. With a nogil Python, all worker threads could interact with shared Python objects without the latency of acquiring and releasing the GIL around Python touch points. I am aware of at least the Pants build system and the Robyn web framework as Rust programs which I understand are built using asynchronous event loops and could benefit from nogil.[1]

For per-interpreter GIL, I think the same integration is more challenging. My understanding is that each thread would run its own interpreter and Python objects cannot be shared between interpreters. This creates difficulties with multithreaded Rust event loops which pass work between threads. To achieve object isolation I think tasks would not be able to store Python state across task yield points and instead would need to store state purely in Rust data structures.

Rust programs written with per-interpreter GIL can still make use of Rust’s concurrency primitives to coordinate data sharing between threads in Rust data structures and push work onto isolated Python interpreters. This model can definitely be successful. To make it possible for PyO3’s users to do this soundly, I need to rework PyO3’s APIs to enforce PEP 630’s module isolation. This still needs significant design work. (Help is very much welcomed from all interested in contributing!)

1. The Pants build system has actively voiced enthusiasm in discussions on PyO3’s Github. ↩︎

16 Likes