Please consider delaying, or even rejecting, PEP 695

It’s a soft keyword, so the existing function isn’t affected. (Similar to how re.match still works even though match is now a soft keyword.) I talk about this here: Implementing PEP 695 | JelleZijlstra.github.io

3 Likes

I added a public constructor for TypeAliasType to my implementation in gh-103763: Implement PEP 695 by JelleZijlstra · Pull Request #103764 · python/cpython · GitHub, as I think it makes sense to allow programmatic creation of these objects if people see a need for it.

Before we backport this in typing-extensions, I’d like to see a discussion on typing-sig though, because it does put a bit of a burden on type checkers to add support for this feature.

6 Likes

Oh! The linked page (hadn’t seen it) is an excellent explanation, thank you.

1 Like

Jelle, thanks for this fantastic document! And for all your work on this project, under deadline pressure.

I won’t be able to review the code personally, but given the reviews you’ve had from Carl and others, I am confident that it will be rock solid.

We should also be grateful that Thomas moved the beta 1 date by two weeks. :slight_smile:

14 Likes