Projects that aren't meant to generate a wheel and `pyproject.toml`

Just as a data point: I do a ton of “standalone project” stuff in the context of scientific analyses, and the PEP 621 structure works pretty well for me. I don’t personally need an --only-deps flag, because I still need to install my own project code. My workflow is:

• Create a repo for a project, with pyproject.toml and requirements.txt
  • Write project-specific code as a package and upload to Github for sharing
  • For analysis I’ll clone the repo[1], use pip install -e to install my code, and perform data analysis in jupyter notebooks, importing the code in the notebook as needed

Maybe this structure is already a level of complexity beyond what’s under discussion. And maybe I do it this way as a result of how packages work now, and I’d do it differently if standalone scripts were supported more explicitly. I’m not sure.

I will say that this structure is way more organized than a lot of my colleagues :joy:. I guess I partially agree with @abravalheri in that there’s no need to make it easier to dump a bunch of spaghetti in a folder and call it a pyproject, but I do think that the use case of “organized code w/ project-like configuration, but not intended for a wheel” is pretty common in research. The reproducibility of the structure is a big feature there.

1. typically on a VM in the cloud ↩︎

9 Likes