PyPA: Is lock-bot on pip issue tracker a good move?

I recently observed that PYPA team activated a lock-bot on issue which is aggresively locking tickets, preventing any further commenting on them.

While I do understand why other projects used bots to help cleaning their issue tracking of very old tickets (usually using a two step process pre-closing warning and a final close in case of no reply), I do really struggle to understand the reason for locking which has clear purpose preventing communication.

I was watching lots of tickets and getting the notification about having them locked is very frustrating as it also closes the communication channel. There is no way to reply to it and to involve the others.

There are very few projects where I seen this used and with almost no exception it was controversial and related to political moves towards less-openness. Such example was Travis which started to close their tickets, locking them and asking people to use their own ticketing system (not public).

The lock-bot only locks tickets that have been already closed for 30 days.

So the communication channel is already closed, and I’d say suggesting users to open a new issue instead of letting them comment on a closed issue makes them more likely to get an answer:
I personally am less inclined to spend time on a closed issue versus one of our 600+ open ones…

And since it is a pip project issue, I’d suggest to continue the discussion on the pip tracker, either https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/5186 which has not been locked yet or a new issue :wink:

3 Likes

To be clear, it locks issues/PRs that are closed and have not had any activity for 30 days.

I firmly believe that at that point, it’s more likely anyway that the maintainers respond to a new issue anyway.

This is being done to make the issue tracker easier to handle for the maintainers who respond on it.

If you want to discuss this further, the issue linked to above is where we should do that.

1 Like