Python 3.7.2rc1 and 3.6.8rc1 now available for testing

(Ned Deily) #1

Python 3.7.2rc1 and 3.6.8rc1 are now available. 3.7.2rc1 is the release preview of the next maintenance release of Python 3.7, the latest feature release of Python. 3.6.8rc1 is the release preview of the next and last maintenance release of Python 3.6, the previous feature release of Python. Assuming no critical problems are found prior to 2018-12-20, no code changes are planned between these release candidates and the final releases. These release candidates are intended to give you the opportunity to test the new security and bug fixes in 3.7.2 and 3.6.8. We strongly encourage you to test your projects and report issues found to bugs.python.org as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that these are preview releases and, thus, their use is not recommended for production environments.

You can find these releases and more information here:

(Steve Dower) #2

And since I may as well jump on the same thread, the new Microsoft Store package should also be available for 3.7.2rc1.

Anyone can view the page at https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NJ46SX7X90P though you will need the latest Windows 10 update (1809) to be able to install it.

Notable features:

• supports PATH properly
  • adds global python3.7 and python3 aliases
  • adds global pip and idle[3.7] aliases as well
  • much more reliable installation
  • does not add the py.exe launcher (okay, not a feature, but notable nonetheless)

Right now, we’re not 100% sure how it will interact with other tools or versions of Python in every configuration. In particular, while it provides the usual PEP 514 registry information, external apps may not find it (for example, the py.exe launcher will not find it today).

Some real experience may cause us to make significant changes, so for now I’d avoid taking dependencies on this package’s way of doing things. (There is meant to be a note to this effect on the Store page but it seems to have been lost… I’ll track it down. It will be in our docs though.)

As usual, bugs and feedback to bugs.python.org under the Windows component.

Microsoft Store package does not add the py.exe launcher
(Steve Dower) #3

Oh, and it goes without saying that of course we won’t be charging any money for Python in the app store. I specifically put a note in the docs about this, and we have ways to deal with typosquatting if necessary.