Python Packaging Strategy Discussion - Part 1

I’m not sure what you’re referring to but… to the best of my knowledge, this isn’t a CPython concern. We do need to enforce elsewhere in the toolchain.

Outside of the scale issue with trying to run/test CPython against the ecosystem[1], this is work that redistributors like Red Hat do already, as well as maintainers for various projects (eg: Cython) – and issues are treated as release blockers as and when appropriate. I don’t see how adding more work on the volunteers who maintain CPython is going to meaningfully change things.

This isn’t a CPython concern, it’s an installer one: Speculative: --only-binary by default? · Issue #9140 · pypa/pip · GitHub

This goes to, somewhat, the core of what we’re supposed to be discussing here: unifying tools/terminology etc.

This would be nice – if CPython decides to go down the route of trying to have a single “official” cross-platform installation + invocation experience, that’ll make some of our problems less bad… but it won’t fix many of the issues we see.

That’s unrelated to CPython and, honestly, I’d prefer to have this be the case and consistently document this.

Would be nice, but also, not going to go into this to avoid derailing the discussion. x-ref Adopting the concept of "Teams" (from PEP 8015)

On CPython + PyPA relationship, I noted down my understanding over the weekend. I suggest that this conversation (about CPython / PyPA relationship) get split into its own discussion.

1. And the various challenges like not having a consistent test runner experience. ↩︎

2 Likes