Python Packaging Strategy Discussion - Part 2

So more on the topic of “support”…

Somewhere, some time ago when the Packaging Python projects” page of the Python packaging guide was created (or updated), the topic came up that what was missing was a way to compare and choose a build back-end. Much later, actually right after Chris Warrick’s article which contains some comparison tables, I gave a try at writing comparison tables of my own for the Python packaging tools. The pull request is here and the preview is here, I consider it as just a starting point (there is a lot missing, most notably conda) and I am waiting for feedback (even if it is to say that it is not helpful) or someone to take over.

I also recall some discussion about adopting the Diátaxis writing framework for the main Python documentation. Is it something that is being considered for the packaging guide?

I think a packaging newsletter as suggested the other day would be helpful as a support tool. Just to say things like “the [project] spec is ready and already implemented in [these packaging tools: […]; and also by Dependabot on GitHub” so that people like me can relay the info on StackOverflow or wherever.

1 Like