Python Packaging Summit at PyCon US 2024: Notes and thanks!

Hello everyone!

I’m excited to share that this is the 1000th topic in the Packaging category! Oh, and it also has the notes from the Python Packaging Summit at PyCon US 2024. A link to these notes has been added to the event’s page on the PyCon US 2024 website.

I want to thank everyone who attended the event in person, for the discussions at the summit. I also want to thank everyone who helped with note taking (with a shoutout to @CAM-Gerlach, since he did most of the heavy lifting during the first few topics!).

This summit would not have happened without the vital support of the PyCon US staff, thank you all! And, finally, thank you to my co-organisers @CAM-Gerlach, @FFY00 and @jezdez for being their awesome selves!

13 Likes

Also, here’s a rough overview of the discussions that took place this year…

• Main topics:
    • Arbitrary package metadata
    • What even is Python “packaging”?
    • How can the PSF best support Python Packaging?
  • Quick shoutouts: pyOpenSci’s Python packaging 101, dynamic-metadata, pixi, uv, conda-store, Coherent Software Development System
  • Breakout discussions/groups:
    • Governance (this was the biggest table :wink:)
    • Making Python Packaging Easier
    • Symlinks in wheels
    • Dynamic package metadata for GPUs
    • Integrating the wheel package into setuptools

One thing that stood out for me was that the early discussion which talked about environments and suggested an equivalence between environments and lockfiles, didn’t mention the lockfile PEP and the work on standardising lockfiles. It seems to me that the difficulties pinning down what people mean by an enviroment, and what people want from a lockfile, are probably related.

3 Likes

I brought up Brett’s proposal as a topic for the breakout sessions but I think there were other interests.

Also, you were there… and I didn’t meet you? Aw :open_mouth:

Nope, I wasn’t there I’m afraid :slightly_frowning_face:

Aha oops, I completely missed the meeting notes link, that explains how you knew the details